The Grand Hall

Amberley's magnificent entrance hall has me suspended in admiration over its splendour. The tapping of black leather riding boots upon the marble floor interrupts my awe, as the gentleman of the house strides confidently towards me.

The fabric of his breeches is skinned so tight upon his thighs, the outline of his muscles is positively captivating. He stands before me with his legs together but he has the most endearing little pigeon toe that turns in slightly. A silk shirt hangs loose over his strong frame, the ties undone a smidgen exposing beads of sweat drenching the sculpture of his chest. He seems flustered and it is only now I realise he was the rider.

He appears much changed from two years prior. His slender face protrudes a jaw as chiseled as the white Adonis statues enriching the hallway. Most strikingly different however is his long hair that is a mass of wind-swept curls. He is even more devilishly handsome than I remember him to be.

I have only ever spoken of him to my diary. Being one of the most eligible bachelors around, he is in high demand with all the 'out' ladies of society. During our conversing however, he struck me as so much more than simply a dapper man to admire. He is intellectual in conversation, witty in banter and kind in his demeanour. Certainly, the lady that wins his affections will be lucky indeed for he is meticulous to his honourable principles, displays a smile as warm as the current flush upon his cheeks and has eyes as green as the rolling hills over which my feet have just traipsed. He extends his hand to take mine, The 3rd Earl of Amberley, Harry Edward Styles.

"Miss Bartlett, it is so good to see you again." His smile pools two deeply distracting dimples.

"Lord Styles, you are looking very well since the last time I saw you, considering. I am so very sorry to hear of the passing of your Father."

"Yes, his illness was unbearable to watch but he was valiant until the end and is now in a better place. God rest his soul." He looks mournfully tired. "And please, it is Harry, I insist."

"Of course, then Sara it is too.  It was truly loving of you to assist your Mother in nursing him. Please tell me, how is Lady Anne?"

"She asked me to extend her warmest wishes to you. She is sorry to have missed seeing you on this occasion for she very much relished your company and conversations when you met at Ashford Manor, last Christmas I do believe it was?"

"Goodness yes, that was nearly a year ago. I did not realise so much time had passed."

"It was a long illness and my Father suffered greatly. Your regular letters were her only pleasure, especially when she felt at her lowest ebb and so isolated here. Indeed, we both found them to be of great comfort, so thank you."

"We?" I question, taken aback.

"Yes, she would read them to me or I to her if she was too tired. Thank you, for you are the only one who kept us in your constant thoughts and remained a friend when we very much needed it." He smiles pensively, a little lost elsewhere in the swirl of the grey through the white marble floor."

"I am so sorry Harry, truly." I feel a break in my voice for his grief and my words pull his glazed eyes back to mine.

"Thank you for your sincerity. You did not arrive with the others by carriage it seems?" He asks with a hint of intrigue.

"No. I decided to take in some clear air and enjoy the breathtaking views of your stunning home from the hill, rather than suffer the bumpy carriage ride."

"I rode that way but did not see you on the path?" He challenges.

I grin and let out the smallest titter. "No, you clearly did not. You rode ferociously past on that striking horse of yours, knocking my bonnet flying in your tailwind and causing my books to slip from my grasp."

Wide-eyed, he studies my form. "In fact yes, look at you, your skirts are sodden. Please forgive me, I was in a rush to greet your arrival and ended up missing you entirely. How foolish of me."

"There is really no harm done, just a few damp book pages and skirt hems that shall dry in time."

"Please let me take your books. I shall ask Mrs Fletcher, our housekeeper, to see if she can salvage them quicker by the large fires in the kitchen. In the meantime, you are most welcome to peruse the library here at Amberley. It is well stocked and I rather think you will find many literary treasures hidden amongst its shelves."

"Thank you Harry, for I should very much relish such an opportunity."

He glances at the book spines then flicks his eyelashes up to gather my stare. "Interesting choices you hold in your hands. This one is very good but I did not fare so well with this one and I must confess this third one eludes me. When you have read it, I would welcome your opinion on its text."

We are interrupted as movement over my shoulder catches Harry's eye.

"Would you please excuse me for just one moment. Niall?" He calls a name behind me.

"Yes, Sir." Niall has an accent that I cannot place straightaway. I turn to see a young man with a beaming face, bright blue eyes and a mop of blonde hair.

"Her Majesty did not ride well today and I am a little worried. Please would you be able to check her for I feel perhaps she needs re-shoeing?"

"I'll see to it right away." Niall nods his head and I establish he is of Irish descent.

"Thank you, Niall. Tell me, how is your mother after her fever?" Harry asks with concerned sincerity.

"She is still unwell, thank you for asking, Sir." Niall replies worriedly.

"Please ensure you take extra coal and kindling from the store. Also, I have requested Mrs Fletcher to put together a parcel of vegetables for soup and make some loaves of fresh bread for you all to keep your strength up."

"Thank you Sir, sincerely." Niall bows his head in acceptance.

"It is my pleasure. Now as soon as you have checked Her Majesty make sure you return to your mother's side." He places a hand on Niall's shoulder and nods a smile that he returns.

"Very well Sir, and thank you again." And with that he is gone.

Harry returns his attention back to me. "Please accept my apologies."

"It is fine, really. I hope both Niall's mother and your horse will ok? You are attentive and friendly with your staff, I think."

"Yes, I am sure they shall. Niall is a trusted servant but more importantly a dear friend. He runs my stables and the grounds of this house with the utmost care. Well I must retire, I am in need of freshening up after my ride and I am sure you would appreciate a rest after your walk." Harry pulls a twisted cord and far off a bell tinkles. "Mr Payne, Amberley's butler, will be here shortly to show you to your room. Please do make yourself at home during your stay and if you require anything at all, do not hesitate to let me know."

"Thank you Harry, it is lovely to be here."

"I very much look forward to your company at dinner." He stands regimentally tall and bows his head before heading towards the stairs. Upon the first step, he hesitates and turns to glimpse me. A tentative smile decorates his distinguished features before he proceeds, two at a time, up the staircase.