Always too late

"You remember when we first met?" Robb asked Elena as he was staring at King's landing. He did that quite often, expecting the Lannisters to attack them at any given time. He seemed to think that standing there, staring, might give them a chance to react sooner if they did. Since Daenerys would take another few months till she'd arrive Robb will be standing there for a lot of nights to come.

"Yeah, and you tried to kill me?" Elena chuckled as she followed his gaze. Taking in a deep breath after seeing the many archers who were stationed on the walls she diverted her eyes quickly while fumbling with the crown that rested on her head.  After she birthed Gillian everything seemed so much more complicated in a way. She didn't just joust her life as easily as before, knowing she couldn't let her children grow up without a mother like she did. She looked behind herself and saw Damon's back turned towards them as he was playing with both Gillian and Lyanna.

"Right, I forgot about that." Robb cracked a smile.

"Was this an attempt at being romantic?" Elena laughed at him as she took his warm hand in hers. Even after all these years, a weird tingling feeling went up all the way through her arm and towards her chest where it warmed her whole body. "Because, honestly, that was pathetic."

"I know, I know." Robb laughed even harder, the happiness finding its way into his eyes. He then squeezed her hand gently. "I'm glad I didn't succeed."

"You better be 'cause you'd be dead if you did." Elena squeezed back. Robb sighed deeply as he continued to stare at the red castle before him.

"I hate all this waiting, I hate being unable to do anything but sit and stare." Robb growled lowly. Both the wolfs, Loki and Grey Wind, picked up on the anger in his voice and lifted their heads to inspect him. Behind them the princess and prince were giggling as the dark haired guardian showed them a few tricks.

"I know, but we have to wait for Daenerys. We don't have enough numbers to defeat the Lannisters on our own. We're barely holding on as it is with holding two fronts at once." Elena said. They were surrounding the castle but from the other side armies were attacking them, including the Tyrells.

"You're sure she'll help us?" Robb asked.

"I'm not." Elena confessed with a sigh. "But it's the only hope we've got left."

"Damon? What are you doing?" Steven asked, rather concerned. Elena looked behind herself to see him walking towards Damon quickly. To be honest, that didn't concern Elena. Damon did some stupid things with the children quite often, including showing them tricks which might be dangerous if it got out of hand. Steven was always there to protect the children though.

"Maybe we could send the kids to Winterfell, make Sansa and Arya come with them." Robb said, making Elena turn towards him again. "It'd be safer than this, the battlefront. Who knows where Ethan is."

"Don't you think they're safer here, with all the guardians protecting them?" Elena raised her eyebrows at him. "If Ethan finds out we're planning to move them he'd surely use it to his advantage, most likely kidnapping them on their way there."

"If he wanted to kidnap them he'd done it already. He's had numerous of opportunities with Damon being so uncarefull the whole time." Robb sounded frustrated.

"Don't be so mad at him." Elena elbowed him playfully. "You know he basically lost the opportunity to raise his own children."

"I know, but-"

"Damon?!" Steven yelled and after that Elena heard something crash, making her turn around swiftly and watch as Steven flew through the air and crashed against a tent which collided onto him, burying him.