Stand by me

"The ones we love never leave us."

The cold winter air blew through Elena's hair when she finally escaped the dungeons. Her knees trembled and bowed, making Elena and Louis fall down on the ground.

A soft whimper escaped from Elena's lips as her fingers felt the mud seep between them. It was a taste of freedom, just a small moment of victory. It filled her head, making her oblivious to the fact that there were other men looking at them from the other side of the courtyard.

"There she is!" Elena heard Ramsay's voice, making the small moment of happiness disappear. She let out a groan of despair, her hand searching for Louis' body.

"No.." Elena sobbed and clutched onto Louis, trying to drag him away from their approaching enemy. She could feel the freedom slipping from her fingers when she heard Ramsay's footsteps coming closer.

"We were just talking about you." Ramsay smiled when he crouched down next to Elena. He turned her around so she was laying on her back, her eyes staring up at the sky above her.

"He's not doing very well, is he?" Ramsay asked while poking Louis' body. He shrugged. "So much for a guardian."

"That's enough, Bolton." Elena heard another voice.

"Damon?" Her voice croaked as she lifted her head up to meet his eyes. "Damon!" A soft destroyed laugh escaped her mouth as she tried to get up.

"You have to help Louis, Damon, please." Her smile vanished and was replaced with a frown when the man only looked at her, not moving a muscle. "Damon?"

"What are you doing?" Elena's voice broke when the man walked towards her and knelt down before her, only looking at her with no emotion on his face.

"Damon, what's going on?" Elena panicked. "You have to help him!"

"Damon, please!" Elena cried when he continued to do nothing. She looked at his familiar pitch black hair, pale skin, muscled body, prominent jaw and high cheekbone.

"Damon?" Elena's voice was just above a whisper, all of the hope gone. Only then she noticed the green in his eyes, the green that was supposed to be blue.

"What have you done to her?" Ethan looked up at Ramsay and then back to Elena, his hand cupping her cheek while examining her face.

"Nothing out of the ordinary." Ramsay shrugged and gave Louis another poke with the tip of his shoe. When The Dark One glared at him he continued. "Just a few cuts and bruises here and there, maybe a broken rib and a fractured collarbone, dislocated shoulder and a broken arm, dehydration and food poisoning."

"Other than that, nothing." Ramsay shrugged as if it were nothing.

"You won't hurt her physically ever again." The dark one stood up, ignoring Elena's whimpers. "We can use her as leverage. My brother never likes it when something happens to his dear little sister."

"What?" Elena looked up at him, The Dark One was the only one to hear her soft voice. She frowned, her heart filling with dread when all of the puzzle pieces clicked together in her head.

"So she's supposed to be my aunt?" A female voice spoke up behind her. Elena looked up at her, seeing the resemblance between her and Ethan; the black hair, green eyes and the high cheekbones.

"I thought she was more..." Abigail frowned as she looked down at the weakened body before her. "Guardian-ish."

"Did you bring what I asked for?" Elena saw The Dark One turn his head towards Abigail.