Chapter 1

Ten years.

Wow, Naomi thought incredulously, staring at the invitation tucked along the edge of her vanity mirror. She couldn't believe all the time that had passed since her high school graduation.

She checked her hair and makeup one last time as she smoothed her sweaty palms down the smooth, silky material of her red dress. Her stomach tightened into a ball of nerves, not sure if it was from excitement or anxiety.

"Naomi?" The strong, masculine voiced called out from outside her door before knocking. "Are you ready yet? We have to get on the road now if we want to avoid traffic and make it on time."

She lifted her eyes to meet the dark orbs that met her eyes in the reflection of the mirror. Miles Daniels—or Dr. Miles Daniels, rather—stood in the doorway of her bedroom, leaning against the frame letting his gaze soak in every detail, from the short and sleek style of her hair, down to her long and smooth legs. She saw the moment desire flickered in his eyes. It was clear in the way he drank in the sight of her. However, Naomi felt nothing.

Over the past ten years, Miles had become more deliciously handsome—if that was even possible. In high school, he'd been the finest thing to walk on two legs, but now he possessed the virile and red-blooded qualities that made him all man. Between his charcoal-gray suit jacket that seemed to accent his eyes and the way the tight-fitted slacks drew attention to the taut muscles that lay underneath, Miles was capable of making nuns drool. But even as he crept further into the room to stand behind her with a longing gaze that never left hers, she still couldn't match even half of the intense lust he had for her.

Naomi cleared her throat, wishing to break the spell as she awkwardly looked away. "I'm ready," she replied as she slid her feet into her black Louboutin peep-toe pumps. Physically, she felt ready but, emotionally, she felt far from it.

"You look...," he paused, as his eyes scoured the length of her body once more before meeting her eyes and continuing. "I'm not sure there's a word in the dictionary that sums up how beautiful you look, Naomi," Desire was so thick in his voice, his words came off strangled.

"Thank you, Miles." She pulled her eyes away from his again, feeling uncomfortable. Miles made it no secret over the past six years that he wanted to pursue her romantically and all that did was make it harder to be around him. If he hadn't been such a good friend to her, she might've gone out of her way to avoid him.

She felt his hand skim the contour of her waist before his arm wrapped around it, bringing her backside flush against him. She knew that he only intended to give her a friendly embrace but with the feel of his arousal pressing against her skin began to crawl, and not in a good way. She quickly pried his hands off of her and spun around to face him.

"We talked about this, Miles," she said in a firm tone. She tossed him an agitated glare, but as she saw the rejected look on his face, she instantly felt guilty. Miles deserved to have someone who loved him as he seemed to love her. In fact, Naomi felt like a fool at times for not being attracted to the catch of a man that stood before her. With his looks and his profession, Miles could have his pick of women. However, he only wanted her. And she didn't want him.

"I know. I'm sorry," he apologized, nervously avoiding her eyes. An awkward beat fell between as Miles readjusted his jacket, undoubtedly trying to hide the growth behind his zipper. Feeling her guilt eating away at her she took one of his hands in both of hers, bringing his attention back to her.

"No. I'm sorry, Miles. I wish I could but—"

"I get it," he said tersely, hoping to drop the subject.