16.2

Every step that you take
Could be your biggest mistake
It could bend or it could break
That's the risk that you take

-Coldplay (What If?)

Nikko had to come right out and admit it. She was having a hard time watching Coldplay. Her favorite band was bringing down the house. This was probably a once in a lifetime opportunity for her. Let go, be one with the music. But she couldn't concentrate on immersing herself in the entire experience. They were now playing Clocks and while she tried to follow the lyrics, she stumbled over a couple of words, becoming too distracted by the presence of her companion. 

🎶The lights go out and I can't be saved

Tides that I tried to swim against

Have brought me down upon my knees

Oh I beg, I beg and plead, singing🎶

Nikko and Jay stood in the same position they were in previously. They had held it for the duration of two songs already, give or take. That was almost 10 minutes of Nikko reminding herself to breathe and trying to slow down the thundering beating of her heart. As Coldplay moved to their next set, it was becoming obvious that Jay had no intention of moving from his stance. All she could think about was this no longer felt like a "social appointment", at least not for her. And with how he'd been acting, it was hard for her not to think that there might be something there. Only problem was, she just couldn't put her finger on exactly what that something was.

Nikko unwittingly sighed, causing his hand at her waist to sink inward slightly. She was again made aware of the pressure it exerted on the curve of her waist. It's presence causing that part of her body to feel warmer than the rest. Her hands lay folded below her waist, An inch or two away from his fingers. It was so tempting to reach out and touch them, to feel it envelope hers in the warmth it was giving off. For it to quell the iciness in her fingers, brought about by nervousness that came over her, at the thought of voicing out what was inside her head. She wanted to tell him, I like you. If only for the purpose of putting into words what she was feeling. But somehow she couldn't bring herself to say them. Because what if he didn't feel the same way.

🎶Come out of things unsaid

Shoot an apple off my head and a

Trouble that can't be named

A tiger's waiting to be tamed, singing

You are

You are🎶

She suddenly felt his hand slide across her waist, coming to a stop on the other side. His arm now encircling her middle pulling her body closer to him. Before she could react, she felt him move his weight forward as his chest pressed onto her. His head coming down next to hers as he rested his chin on her shoulder.

"I'm kind of tired from the early morning we had today. Do you mind if we stand like this for a while?" His voice low and his breathing warm against her ear. 

A tingle coursed through her body causing goosebumps to spread all over her skin. Her knees were threatening to buckle. It took a great deal of concentration for her to keep herself upright. Of course she wanted to stay like this. All wrapped up in his strong arms. His cocoon of warmth, giving her a heady buzz. 

But the voice of reason sent alarm bells going off inside her head. Hey, maybe she should find out first where this was heading before she gave into it. Because all of a sudden this no longer felt like some silly crush she could so easily dismiss. Let's take a step back and remove herself from the situation. It was better to proceed with caution. What if this was all brought about by the circumstance they were in? Maybe it only felt real here and now.

🎶Confusion never stops

Closing walls and ticking clocks

Gonna come back and take you home

I could not stop that you now know, singing🎶

He wasn't moving from his position nor was he saying anything else. As if he was waiting for her reply to his question.

She moved her head slightly to answer him and found herself distracted by his profile. His face just inches away from her. Her eyes taking in his handsome features, coming to rest on his lips. Lips that were so close, she wondered what it would be like to feel them against hers.

"So?" He asked, putting her focus back on his query.

She opted for a safe response on her part. "Don't you want to sit down?" There, that was putting the ball in his court. If he chose to sit, then her suspicions over his words and actions were probably nothing. But if he didn't, then that would mean he probably...or he might... Ok. It would create even more questions that she had no answers to.

She felt his arm slacken slightly, and a wave of disappointment washed over her.

🎶Come out upon my seas

Cursed missed opportunities

Am I a part of the cure?

Or am I part of the disease? Singing

You are, you are, you are

You are, you are, you are🎶

"I'll take that as a yes, you do mind." He said as he lifted his head up and straightened his body to full height. "Sorry, I'm guessing you were feeling uncomfortable. My head was probably too heavy." He gave her an apologetic smile.

"I guess." She said trying to sound unconcerned, but her mind was already racing with thoughts. There's your answer Nikko. He was probably just carried away by the fact that it's just the two of you here. This kind of atmosphere can make people act a certain way but it really doesn't mean anything.

She almost had herself convinced when his fingers suddenly closed around hers, pulling her to sit down.

"Jay, what?" She looked at him questioningly.

He smiled, showing off his dimple. "Let's both get off our feet first. There's still plenty more to come anyways."

She sat down and nodded, trying to keep her emotions in check over the fact that her hand remained wrapped in his.

🎶You are

You are

Home, home where I wanted to go

Home, home where I wanted to go🎶