2

"We've got to stop meeting like this."

- Nicomaine (Nikko) Mendoza

Nikko turned her gaze out the window. Against the night sky, the bright lights of Toronto greeted her as the plane came down for its landing.

She looked forward to this three week vacation for months now. Her cousin had been bugging her to come visit. It took a massive chunk of her savings to get here, but for some reason she couldn't explain, she felt compelled to take the trip by some unknown force.  That, and she missed her cousin. The two of them had grown up together in the same household after Nikko lost her parents in a car accident at a young age. After college, Nikko had gotten a job and left their family home to live on her own.  Her cousin on the other hand had taken a job in Toronto where she now resided for 8 years.   

Nikko couldn't have picked a better time. It was fall and she was excited to witness the color change of the leaves. Her mind wandered towards the temperature. Her cousin had said the weather was fickle during autumn. Sometimes hot, sometimes cold. With that in mind, she had packed half her closet with her. Good thing she was able to get that new suitcase.

Once the plane landed she exited with the rest of the passengers and headed towards immigration.

Immigration was a breeze and she was soon standing at the baggage claim area awaiting her luggage.

She took out her phone and called her cousin. She was chatting away about what they planned to do the next day when she spotted an ice blue bag on the carousel making its way down to her.

This is why I held out for ice blue, she grinned satisfactorily to herself. It's easy to spot among the sea of black and dark colord suitcases.

As the luggage arrived in front of her, she ended her call and reached out her hand to grasp the handle at the same time that somebody else did.

She quickly glanced at who owned the hand and saw a guy with messy hair and glasses out of the corner of her eye.  He looked somewhat familiar but she was never great with faces plus she didn't know anyone who lived in Canada. She thought about confronting him but kept her eyes on his hands, as he lifted the luggage off the conveyor belt.  She gave him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he was just trying to help her.

Or not, her mind concluded as he didn't let go of her luggage after setting it down.

"Hey." She pointed to the bag, "Excuse me, but that's my luggage."

"Sorry Miss, but I think you're mistaken." he straightened up then gave her an odd look, "Oh. It's you."

"What was it again? Meneses? Mendiola?" he said snapping his fingers. "Oh...yeah. Mendoza. "

He curled his lips, "You still trying to get my luggage?"

"Do I know you?" She stared at him open mouthed for a few seconds. She was trying to remember where she met him from.

"How'd you know my..." she began, then recognized the smirk on his face. "Faulkerson?" she cringed inside remembering their altercation. "Not you again."

"Yes me again. Took you long enough to remember. I thought I was going to add slow underneath impolite in the list of things to describe you."

Her mood soured with the attitude he was giving her. "I didn't recognize you without your suit." she shrugged.

"We've got to stop meeting like this." she made a face at him.

"Well maybe if you actually quit making a habit of taking my luggage." He frowned at her.

Kainis!, she thought, he's still at it.  Same attitude he displayed at the store.  "Are you sure it's yours? I mean they look the same but I'm pretty sure i can recognize mine." she huffed.

"Wanna bet?" he challenged.

"I don't bet." she folded her arms across her chest and gave him a look.

"Scared?" he cocked an eyebrow.

"No! I just don't." she rolled her eyes, ugh! Sobrang sayang talaga yung looks nito, kasi napaka panget naman ng disposisyon. She thought to herself.

"Suit yourself. You would've lost anyway." he shrugged.

"Could you stop being such a-" she failed to finish her sentence when he pulled at the tag on the side handle of the bag.

The letters RFJ were imprinted on the leather.

She felt her cheeks redden. She looked over at the carousel and saw a lone ice blue bag still going around.

"Sorry." she mumbled turning around to go after her suitcase.

"Maybe next time you should check first before opening your mouth. It'll save you from the embarassment." he called after her.

Nikko bristled at his comment. God! He was such a jerk!

She grabbed her bag, fixed her things and made her way to the exit.

She stood outside in the waiting section looking for her cousin. As she surveyed the entire area, she happened to notice Mr. RFJ to her left.

He was making his way to a leggy brunette who at the same time was rushing up to him.

He met the girl and gave her a hug, spinning her around.

Hmph typical, she thought to herself. Mr. RFJ's significant other happened to look like a model. Why is it the good looking jerks always get the pretty babes?

She didn't realize she had been staring in that direction until she felt a petite girl bump her right side. "Nikko! Grabe kanina pa ako dito di mo pa ako nakita. Not paying attention ka talaga."

"Oh my gosh! Karen! Pasensya na. Di kita napansin. Pagod lang sa biyahe kaya natulala." she hugged her cousin.

"Weh..." She looked to where Nikko's attention had been earlier. "I doubt you're tired, you've been staring at that guy over there.  I have to admit, you have good taste. Gwapo sya. Sayang meron na syang karelasyon."

Nikko hurriedly responded, "No, of course not! I haven't been staring! Hindi ko sya type! He's obnoxious!"

"Wow, you know him?" Karen nudged Nikko with her arm.

Nikko pursed her lips, "Slight. Si Mr. RFJ iyan."

Karen gave her a confused look, "RFJ?"

"Yes. Rude Fucking Jerk."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A short update.  Sorry if the story is coming off slow at this point.  I'm just trying to set things up and introduce a couple more characters who will be part of the story, so this may take a couple more chapters.

I hope you'll give this fic a chance and see where it will go. =)

Please let me know if you have any comments, criticisms or anything else by posting.  If you want to vote, please do so as well. =)