Chapter 4

The next morning brought Lady Éowyn to my door early. I had just finished putting the last of my clothes away in the chest at the foot of my bed when she knocked.

"I'm riding down to the training grounds," she said without preamble. "Do you want to come along?"

I had actually looked forward to spending the rest of the morning curled up in the window seat, reading one of the books I had brought with me, but I couldn't very well decline the invitation. After all I wanted to make friends in my new home. So I agreed, and she sent a page running to order the horses to be made ready while I changed into my riding habit. Lady Éowyn wore breeches, I noticed enviously. My aunt had confiscated mine when I started to develop womanly curves at the age of fourteen, insisting I wear riding skirts instead. I couldn't help wondering what my escort would say if I turned up in a woollen tunic and doeskin leggings.

Dirhael did gape at Lady Éowyn when we met him outside the stables, but he caught himself quickly. Her horse would not have been considered a suitable lady's mount in Gondor either. Large and powerful, the grey gelding was obviously trained as a warhorse and well up to carrying a fully armed warrior. When I commented on this, she nodded.

"Windfola is one of my cousin's remounts. But Théodred keeps him here in Edoras, and I get to ride him."

It was a market day, and many people thronged the way down to the gate, which slowed our progress. Stalls lined the road all along one side, most of them selling food brought in from the outlying farms, but a few also had leather goods and woollen cloth on offer. One man sat cross-legged on the ground, a pile of pelts in front of him. They caught the morning sun with their rich colours: russet fox, silvery wolf, brown beaver and pure white ermine. Very soon we had a gaggle of children trailing us at a discreet distance, watching with big eyes and whispering amongst each other. I almost expected it by now. The adults showed more restraint, greeting us courteously and some of them even exchanging a few words in Westron with me. They were a forthright people I judged, meeting my eyes directly without undue deference.

Once past the gates Éowyn turned right and took a bridle path that ran along the foot of the dike encircling Edoras. It looked much travelled and led to a large field divided into smaller sections by fences. In one of them a dozen riders practiced throwing their spears at a target while cantering by. The wood gave a dull thump every time it got hit. In the next section a series of circles had been traced with sawdust on the ground, four of which were occupied by warriors sparring with swords. Others sat on the grass watching and calling out encouragement.

When we rode up one of the men came over to meet us. His blond hair peppered with grey and face tanned brown from constant exposure to wind and sun, he called out a greeting to Éowyn. Then he turned round and barked orders at the swordsmen who had broken off their bouts and craned their necks to watch us. They renewed their efforts with fresh determination. Éowyn introduced the man as Heorogar, her uncle's master-at-arms, and went on to inform him that I wanted to practice archery.

"You are Prince Imrahil's daughter?" he asked. At my confirmation he looked pleased. "When I was younger I served under Steward Denethor for five years and I met your father during that time," he explained. "The archers of Dol Amroth have an excellent reputation. We are honoured to have you here."

"The honour is mine," I answered weakly. It did not seem the right time to point out that it had all been Éowyn's idea. Did she share her brother's penchant for testing his guests' mettle?

Heorogar led us to another field where a line of straw butts had been set up at varying distances. Half a dozen men were busy shooting, but all activity ceased when we rode up. I felt everybody's eyes on me when I dismounted and got out my bow. Beautifully crafted and polished to perfection, it had been made especially for me by my father's bowyer and took less strength to draw than normal bows. Hopefully it would bring me luck!