(three)

Savannah Jay Carter

I watched as Max left out the store. Taj came to stand next to me.

 Taj came to stand next to me

"Who was that?" She asked me.

"Max, my brother's friend." I said as I turned from the door.

"He likes you, girl." She said as we walked back to the floor.

"Probably not. He thinks of me as a little sister." I said as I looked through the racks.

"We'll see at 12:30." She said as she walked away.

"You heard that?!" I said but she ignored me.

The clock ticked by until 12:27 hit. Taj and the rest of the girls left for the day and I was putting my wallet in my bag. I left out and locked up the shop. When I turned around, Max was leaning against the car.

"Ready to go?" He said as he opened the door.

I got into the car as he closed my door and jogged over to his side. He got in and pulled off, making my body fly back against the seat.

"Sorry." He said with a smirk, making me smack my lips.

He pulled into Lucci's, my favorite place to eat. We got out and got seated immediately.

"How did you know this is my favorite?" I asked as I looked through the menu.

He shrugged. "I just guessed."

Our waitress came over and we ordered. She walked away shortly after as Max turned to me.

"So, tell me about the store." He said as he sipped his water.

I told him about my business partner Taj and how we've been going strong on online orders and things like that until our food came out.

"Why?" I asked him as I cut into my lasagna.

"Why what?" He said.

"Why am I here at lunch with you? Does my brother know?" I rattled off, watching a smile grow on his face.

"Am I supposed to tell your brother everything?" He said as he spun pasta on his fork.

"When it comes to taking his little sister to lunch, it might need to come up." I sassed.

"Well, no. I didn't tell him. You're here because we're friends. Right?" He said back.

"I guess. You guys were friends first." I sipped my lemonade.

"Maybe I'm looking for new friends." He said as he gazed at me.

I cleared my throat and continued to eat my food. I picked up my phone, seeing it was 12:50.

"I need to be back at the shop by 1:30." I said.

He nodded. I did the same as we ate in silence.

"So, how's your career going?" I said.

"Being an accountant pays the bills, can't complain." He said as he shrugged.

"Are you still acting?" I asked.

"When I can. That was the best part of Cali, improv clubs everywhere." He said.

"You were always so good." I said, honestly.

"Thank you, thank you." He said as he fake bowed.

I laughed at him, making him look at me.

"So, you do laugh." He said, staring at me.

"Yes, I do. Thank you very much." I said as I pushed my plate away. "I'm gonna run to the bathroom.

I stood up and pulled a twenty out my wallet, throwing it on the table, leaving soon after. Within ten minutes, I was back at the table where my twenty sat in the same place.

"Did the check come?" I asked as I sat back down.

He nodded. "It's been paid."

I pushed the twenty over to him but he stopped me. He shook his head as he laid his hand on top of mine.

"Keep it, I got it." He said as he stood up. "Let me get you back."

I left the twenty on the table for the waitress and stood up, walking in front of him out the door. We got in his car and pulled away from the restaurant. 

"Why didn't we split it?" I asked as he drove.

"I asked you so that means I pay." He said, nonchalantly.

I started to say something but he stopped me.

"It's done, Savannah. Don't worry about it." He pulled up to my shop.

He walked over to my side, opening my door. I got out and stood in front of him, back facing the shop.

"Thank you for lunch." I said.

"Anytime." He leaned against the car. 

I turned to walk in the store and he grabbed my arm.

"Thanks? No hug?" He asked with open arms.

I shook my head, smiling while walking into his arms. He wrapped his arms around me, placing them on my lower back. I wrapped mine around his midsection, taking in his scent. We pulled apart and I walked in, leaving him to watch me. I turned around to see him getting in his car and pulling off. Taj walked over to me.

"How was lunch?" She asked with a knowing smile.

"It was cool." I said as I set my purse in my office.

"That hug looked more than cool." She said.

"I hug my mama the same way." I said.

"No, you don't." She laughed.

"Whatever, Taj." I rolled my eyes and sat at my desk.

"I saw you look back too." She smirked and walked out.

"Stop walking away!" I yelled but she ignored me.

I sat back in my chair, trying to get what Taj said off my mind.