-4-

Terry

While Eric and my mother were out, Kendall came over to work on our History project for school. It was almost past midnight and we were still working on it. We had been at this for hours. And to make matters worse, it was due tomorrow morning.

"My eyes are hurting. How much longer?" Kendall complained while writing our report.

"Just a few more things to glue down." I said rubbing my eyes with a yawn.

In the midst of working on our project, I heard a bunch of commotion coming from downstairs. I really hoped my mother and Eric were not going at each other's necks again. We had just moved in and they were going at it like crazy already.

"What's that?" Kendall asked.

"Probably Eric and my mother arguing again. I'm coming back." I said getting up off the floor and walking out of my room.

I made my way downstairs and to the living room. As expected, they were arguing. I glanced at the clock on the wall, which read 12:30. I rubbed my temples and looked at them. This was so embarrassing!

For one, it was absolutely too late for all of this. Two, they could've took this into the privacy of their own bedroom.

"Look at you! All drunk and shit." Eric said throwing his keys down onto the table

"Eric I'm fine. Let me have a little fun." My mother said taking off her heels, almost falling over.

She didn't look plastered, but she was constantly swaying from side to side. I had never seen my mother in this condition ever, so this really surprised me. 

Who knew that she actually knew how to have fun?

"Lena you embarrassed me in front of all of my people. We had to leave the party early because of yo drunk ass."

"Eric I am grown. You're the reason why this argument even started in the first place. One, it's late and two, Terry has company over." She argued.

"Both of you need to go upstairs and sleep all this off. Nobody wants to be hear your bickering. Kendall's upstairs." I rolled my eyes.

My mother sighed and began making her way towards the staircase.

"I'm going to bed. I don't wanna talk about this anymore." She said, barely making it on her own up the stairs.

Eric sighed and walked into the kitchen. He looked pretty pissed to me. I followed him to the kitchen and watched him pop open a bottle of gin and drank straight from the bottle. I looked at him from head to toe, studying all of his features and the his attire.

If we were being honest, he looked good. While short men weren't quite my cup of tea, I still thought that he was good looking.

Wait a minute, the hell am I saying? I really need to get a date.

I yawned and leaned against the counter.

He looked over at me with those pretty, brown eyes and licked his lips. "Look lil mama. I'm sorry bout all that, knowing that you have a friend over. That was disrespectful of me." He said putting his hand on his chest.

"It's cool. T-thanks." I said.

He winked at me, which caught me off guard. I smiled awkwardly and walked out of the kitchen. I damn near ran up the steps. I walked into my room quickly and closed the door behind me. Kendall looked at me and I looked at her. She eyed me suspiciously and sat down the notebook on my bed.

"Girl you okay?"

"I don't think so." I started. "I don't know what's gotten into me, but it's something about Eric."

I just left at it that. I couldn't stand his short ass and now I was thinking about how cute I thought he was? It's official, I have got to get out of this house and get a life.

Eric

I spent the next morning, trying to get Lena to talk to me, but she wasn't having it. I guess she was still mad at me. It wasn't my fault that she completely embarrassed me at the relate party last night. If anybody should be upset, it should be me.

"You can't keep ignoring me." I told Lena.

"Yes I can. And I will." She said brushing her hair while sitting at her vanity.

"I should be the one ignoring your ass. You embarrassed me. That shit you pulled last night wasn't cool." I sat on the bed.

"Eric I never go out and have fun. And when I do, I can't have a good time and let loose?" She looked back at me. "Yes, I may not have had a drink in a while, but that doesn't give you the right to talk to me that way in front of your little friends." She began putting her heels on.

"You don't disrespect me by dancing with some other dude in front of my face. You're my woman and you need to be respectful."

She sighed. "Whatever Eric. Just drop it. My head hurts and I'm going to be late for work." She said before grabbing her briefcase and walking out of the room.

After she left, I walked to Terry's room and knocked on her door. After a minute passed, she opened the door and peeked out through the crack.

"Can I help you?" She asked.

"Well, it's Saturday and I knew that you probably didn't have anything to do. So, I wanted to ask you if you wanted to take a ride with me?" I asked.

"And what's makes you think that I would want to spend my Saturday with you?" She asked with a raised brow.

"Look, you coming or not? I don't have all day."

She opened the door more. "Where are we going?"

"You got twenty minutes." I said before walking back down the stairs.

I sat on the couch and occupied myself with some television while I waited for Terry. It wasn't too long before he joined me downstairs.

"I'm ready." She says with her hand on her hip.

"Let's roll then." I said before getting up for the couch and heading out the door. 

We both walked to my green impala and got in.

"Can you at least tell me where we're going?" She asked.

"Compton. Put your seatbelt on." I said before starting the car and pulling away from the house.

I'm pretty sure she had never been outside of L.A., so I wanted to show her where I was from. Terry and I didn't have the best relationship, so I was just trying to make things a little better I guess. If her mother and I we're going to be serious, the least I could do is try to get along with my future step-daughter.

"Why Compton?" She asked.

"It's where I'm from."

"Duh Eric. We all know that." She chuckled. "But I mean, you made it out the hood. Why go back?"

"It's where I was raised. And I thought this would be a good time for us to bond or whatever."

"Yeah. Whatever." She scoffs.