First Chapter of hYBrID by melissaswritings

Start from the beginning

On Reaching,Tack, the head of security asked about this friend in detail. I described the imaginary friend vividly and with so much enthusiasm that Tack held out his hand to stop my incessant rant and muttered something along the lines of Let's see whether that person exists or not. It seemed he was not at all convinced. He was so sure about my lying that there was no need of bringing dad in this picture. Then he motioned his hand in upward direction and from his approval I finally saw it happening. Gate was actually opening and I saw a narrow road outside, but that was it .I couldn't see anything else. My legs automatically hurried towards the gate and before I could take a step outside gate, tack touched my shoulder

"Where is your friend?"he asked jovially, knowing fully well that it was a dupery.

As luck would have it, the moment I looked at my right, which was not visible to Tack as he was standing inside and saw the opportunity standing in front of me. A small boy similar to my description- shaggy blond hair, brown eyes, crooked teeth, a little on the fatter side  and almost the same height as me, was standing there and eating my favorite chocolate ice cream. I could see it because it was inclined in my direction. Tack also came by my side to see what had piqued my curiosity. Since his movements were little abrupt the boy flinched and dropped his ice cream on the pavement.  He took a step back, looked up, fear evident in his eyes, which was natural as we all, other guards included, were looking intently at him.    I told the guards that I wanted to talk to him in private,  that is how friends should talk... Isn't it? They gave me 5 minutes and went inside.Obviously they didn't take this into consideration that I might run off with him. They must have thought, they can always catch me even if I try to run, they all being 6 foot tall and me not even four feet. How fast could a three plus feet girl go when compared to their 4 feet long legs? But we managed somehow. I went to that boy and whispered in his ear to take me to his home. He took my hand and dragged me towards his home. We got past his house's gate in less than three minutes. He ordered his guard that if someone comes looking for a girl, then he has to lie. We really bonded well from the moment I stepped at his place. He never once approached the topic of why so much security, which even I didn't know or why was I so nervous while running with him. Instead he indulged me in games, ice cream, dark chocolate and also told about his family.

I had so much fun that day. But as the time progressed, my thoughts kept coming back to Beth and those guards. Even though this was by far the most exciting day, I could never make them worried sick about me.

So I decided to go back to my place. Simon insisted on escorting me, which I gladly accepted. We didn't even make it to our gate when two people were instantly at my side. It took me a moment to look at them. I was astonished and ecstatic to see my parents standing in front of me. I mean this was what- their second visit to this place, so naturally this was a pleasant surprise.

But they didn't look happy to see me. Their faces just showed one emotion and that was disappointment. There was also a cluster of 30 people behind them. They all wore a similar expression of panic on their faces.

Their expressions didn't matter what mattered was that my parents loved and cared for me. What else was this if not love? They had flown to this place, just for me.

Their expression altered and they looked at the child besides me. They asked about him and I told them everything from the time I pretended to sleep till now. My dad looked at the boy intently for some time, then did the one thing that I never expected from him.

I still remember his words and the clipped tone in which he had said."You can have a friend for now."

That was the beginning of our friendship.