five

Day 3 of 60

After hours and hours of staying up and staring at the stars on his ceiling, Hoseok had finally conjured up his wish list.

But the only problem was; Hoseok didn't know how to start. He didn't even know whether his parents would allow him to do all the things he wanted. He knew that if he revealed to them his wishes, they'd try to argue and have him stay in the hospital.

But Hoseok didn't want that. It's not as if staying in the hospital would miraculously cure the tumour and the inevitable death it would bring. And as the brunette peeked over at the pale blonde writing, God knows what, once again in his notebook, he truly wished to have a friend.

But who would want to be friends with a person responsible for their tragedy?

Hoseok had always dreamt of being fearless, of being boundless. And that Min Yoongi was the epitome of who he wanted to be as the younger once again stole a glance at the older's tattoos adorned on his neck and arms.

But he would never tell anyone that because they all would scoff and laugh if the brunette ever said, "I want tattoos" because it simply didn't fit or suit the male's image, as per assumed by others.

I want freedom.

Because all this boy consisted of was the appearance of radiance and pureness that restrained itself from the ethereal and scandalous ambitions hidden so profoundly among his heart's whispers.

Hoseok heard the sound of paper ripping and he looked over at Yoongi's bed. He watched the ripped paper crinkle softly between his pale fingers and then fold over as hands smoothed the boned ivory disposable.

Within seconds, Yoongi had folded the paper into a heart.

And in two seconds, he placed it on the wooden nightstand between their two beds, stealing a glance at Hoseok before settling back into his bed.

Hoseok stared at the paper, baffled on how to respond to the fragile creation from a very un-fragile looking person.

"It's for you."

Yoongi nodded to the folded white paper heart and Hoseok skeptically picked it up and twirled it in between his fingers, carefully inspecting it in case it were a cruel joke.

"Why?" Hoseok asked him.

Yoongi shifted onto his side and looked at the younger fully, eyes taking in the bruises that had almost fully healed and the head gauze now gone. He tore his eyes away from his cheekbones and cleared his throat, twice.

"I figured you must have some kind of incurable heart disease since the nurse hasn't told you to go home yet. They don't even give you medication so you probably have a heart that sucks." 

Hoseok blinked twice at the older's words, not believing the innocence and stupidity sprayed in those words. But as he caught the genuine nervousness flickering behind the blonde's eyes, he understood that it was the truth.

"So I made you a heart. One that's actually not dying."

Perhaps it was the way that the eyes of the older swam with so much nervousness and giddiness that made Hoseok feel it as well or maybe it was even because that Min Yoongi ducked his head and those bright blonde strands caught light and Hoseok swore the older's eyes were shining bright as well.

But whatever it was, Hoseok smiled.

"My heart's not dying."

And that was that. Enough words that were exchanged before that feeling in Hoseok's chest dissipated and gravity came crashing down with its reality, puncturing his damaged brain with the words,

I'm dying.

There are oceans crashing into shorelines somewhere out there. There are rainstorms slashing against windows somewhere out there. There are rivers that run and lakes that breathe and Jung Hoseok wishes he knew how to do all of those things at once. He wishes he could crash into this, this tumour, wishes he could break against windows and stay there for a while, wishes he could run and keep on running till everything melts into the sea, and he wishes he could breathe because right now he can't.

He can't because he's running out of time

And what's more tragic than knowing the fact you're wasting time, the most precious element given to human, is doing nothing at all with it.

"I wish I could wish. And have it all come true."

And Hoseok is crying. Crying tears of relentlessness and lost against his will, his desire.

Yoongi doesn't know how much he should hold back, how much he should limit himself, his words, because for the first time in his life, he's afraid of saying the wrong words. 

But words are only precious when spoken to the ones who matter the most.

"Anyone can wish. But not anyone can make it come true - unless you try."

And Yoongi wants to throw off the covers and wipe away the tears of that person he doesn't even know the name of and his heart is going crazy because his brain won't answer its question why?

Hoseok sniffles and wipes his tears with his callused fingers, eyes darting again to the paper heart clutched in his hand and for a second, Yoongi tenses and wants to take the heart back, but the younger has already caught sight of black ink near the edges of the paper and he's carefully unfolding it.

The white paper is now crinkled but not so much to the point where Hoseok can't distinguish those three written words because for now he can;

what's your name?

Yoongi wants to dive under his blue blanket and scream into the pillow out of embarrassment because what an elementary school thing to write on a damn paper heart.

He wants to tell that person that it's okay, that they don't have to reply and they can crumple it up and throw it away, but he peeks through the fingers covering his face and feels nervous watching the brunette scribble onto the paper.

He brings his fingers down from his face slowly and admittedly admires those high cheekbones and peeking collarbones from underneath the patient gown that he knows the younger hates so much because he's always staring at it in disgust.

"Um, I don't know how to fold it into a heart."

"it's okay, just give me yours."

Hoseok's head jerks up and he watches the horror slowly invade the blonde's eyes. Yoongi clasps a hand over his mouth and Hoseok sees the pink highlighting his ears, feeling his own ears burning as well while he tries to not sputter and scold his heart that must be enjoying itself because it keeps knocking at his rib cage.

"Um it was th-this line from a movie," and Yoongi laughs, or at least tries to, "and I remembered it suddenly, sorry."

But it wasn't a line from a movie and nor was it a line from any book - it was a line that came straight from Yoongi's mouth.

Hoseok relaxes and almost laughs - almost - before folding the paper in half instead, placing it onto the nightstand and diving under his covers because he feels weird. And because of that Min Yoongi of all people, the person who caused the many months of his life to be taken away.

Yoongi smiles at the lump of a blanket and he picks the folded paper off the nightstand, looking at the slight strands of brown hair peeking from underneath the younger's blanket and he wonders how the hell it looks so shiny. And soft - but that person doesn't need to know that so keep your stupid mouth shut.

He unfolds the paper, and written there in messy slanted hand writing, he sees two words;

Jung Hoseok.

___

A/N

feels fluff feels fluff fee-