48; Yellow towels, picnic tables, and makeovers

Start from the beginning

Well, this is awkward.

"Oh, Christ," she says. "Um, sorry? I ... who are you?"

"I'm, um, Violet. I'm, um, Zayn's, uh, girlfriend," I stutter. This is officially one of the worst introductions ever. I pull the towel tighter around me.

Her eyes widen and she snorts. "I'm sorry, you're what?"

"Sorry, who are you?" I ask.

"I'm Doniya," she says as if I should have already known. "Zayn's sister. I just came home from uni. And nobody mentioned to me that Zayn had a girlfriend." She shakes her head, baffled. Then, she yells, "ZAYN!"

"I, uh, do you mind, uh, you know?" I look down at myself.

Doniya laughs. "Oh, shit. Of course. I'll talk to you afterwards." She closes the door and I let out a huge breath I didn't know I had been holding in.

I quickly get dressed and pull my hair back and hang up my towel on the railing. I sigh and exit the bathroom, walking to Zayn's room to pack away my things again. I hear voices in the lounge and slowly walk towards the room.

"I'm just saying, Zayn, that I had to meet her when she was half naked," I hear Doniya cry as I slide against the wall.

"Isn't that how you meet everyone else?" An angry Zayn snaps back.

I pause and lean against the wall, just listening.

"Fucking prick," Doniya hisses.

"When is it that you leave again?"

"In case you didn't realise, this is the first time you've been here since the start of the year. Don't act like this is your home."

"It never was. You know that."

"So why did you come, huh? You expect me to believe that you're head over heels in love with some other girl that-"

"She's not some other girl, Don."

I trip over the edge of a cabinet and awkwardly stumble into the lounge. Zayn and Doniya both look up at my arrival and immediately stop talking. I lift up my hand in a wave. "Hi," I say, my heart beating madly. I nervously laugh, because it's all I can do.

"Hi, sweetheart," Doniya smiles warmly at me. She stands up and wraps me in huge, really tight hug, acting like she wasn't just talking about me before. But her hug's so warm and comforting, just like her mum's. And kinda what I picture Zayn's hugs to be like.

"I'm so sorry about before," she laughs, pushing back the hair from her face. "It's so great to meet you; properly."

"You too," I tell her honestly. I look behind her to see Zayn sitting on the arm chair, eyes out the window.