Six

An hour later the only change was a move in waiting room and a plaster on the back of Noah's hand and in the crook of his elbow. Despite the blood tests being taken they were still none the wiser to his condition.
Noah was currently led flat on the tiled floor, his hands over his face and knees bent upwards.
His breathing was heavy and although Amanda couldn't see she knew his eyes were tightly shut.

Another hour passed, with no further results apart from some sympathetic glances from busy nurses.

Then as a third hour threatened to roll by Dr Wilson approached, clipboard in hand.
"I've analysed the results" he began as Noah struggled to pull himself upright.
"The news isn't too good I'm afraid."
Noah visibly deflated, Amanda put an arm around him gently in an attempt to comfort him.
Dr Wilson smiled a brief sympathetic smile before ushering Noah down another white corridor promising to explain all soon.
Amanda followed worriedly behind.

Their destination turned out to be a hospital room containing a single bed and a couple of couches, a nurse was making the bed and passed Noah a hospital gown the minute he entered. She then showed him to the ajoining bathroom where he disappeared inside to change. There was an awkward five minute silence as the three waited for Noah to finish.
He appeared from the bathroom clutching a bundle of clothes, looking more tired than ever. Again the nurse hurried to his side, letting him put his weight on her, together they limped over to the bed where she helped him under the covers and began attaching an IV and various other needles.

"Right" Dr Wilson began as the nurse finished and left the room.
"We have looked at your blood results which show an unusually high level of white blood cells."
Upon noticing Amanda and Noah's blank looks he expanded on his previous point.
"This shows us that your body is trying to fight an infection, when we combined this with your X-rays that showed damaged bone we can to the conclusion that you have Osteomyelitis in your spine."
Noah paled even further.
"Now this is treatable" continued Dr Jamison, " However not without invasive measures."
This time there was no need for him to explain himself.  They both knew exactly what that meant.
"Surgery" gulped Noah.

Sorry this is super short but really wanted to get an update out. Hope you guys enjoy what there is of it... there should be another update very soon. Please vote and comment ;)
M