Chapter Eighteen:

Start from the beginning

"Of course," Ashley smiled, finally realising the seriousness of the situation. "You get some rest."

Ashley hugged me before I entered my bedroom and completed my nightly routine. I fell into bed and sleep consumed me almost as soon as my head hit the pillow. That surprised me a little bit, considering how nervous I felt about my impending audition.

My alarm woke me up at 9:30 the next morning. This gave me a little extra sleep than usual. But it still gave me enough time to get up, get ready and perform a few vocal warm-ups before the audition. Surprisingly, I woke up feeling refreshed and ready for the day ahead. I even felt a little excited about the audition.

Trying to be as quiet as I could, I slid out of bed and completed my morning routine. I figured that Ashley and Michael would be sporting killer headaches when they woke up. I didn't want to stick around to witness that.

I took a quick shower to get all the aches and pains that I had received from sleep to cease. I tried my best to not sing whilst I was in there. One, because I didn't want to wake Ashley and her boyfriend up, because they would not be happy. And two, because I didn't want to overwork my vocal folds before I even started the audition. Though I knew the steam would be beneficial in my throat.

The water also helped to subdue the butterflies that were making an appearance in my stomach. It was obvious I was going to get nervous, but I hoped I wouldn't get much more nervous than this. I didn't want it to make a negative impact on my audition this afternoon.

After my relaxing shower, I got dressed. I threw on a Lycra pair of bottoms and a black sports bra/crop top. This made sure that I was prepared if we got asked to dance. Even though they didn't specify that we would be dancing during the audition. On top of that, I threw on a nice dress for my singing round. I then put some trainers on my feet and a black cardigan over my shoulders to complete my attire.

I left my hair down, as it was still damp. I was reluctant to use the hairdryer because my hair would become frizzy because of the heat. And again, I didn't want to face the wrath of Ashley if I woke her up. My hair would dry naturally in no time and I would throw it up in a neat ponytail, anyway.

After making sure I looked professional, I exited my bedroom. The kitchen area would be my next destination. I prepared my traditional breakfast of oatmeal and scoffed it down. All the while; I was running through song lyrics in my head, even though they were already ingrained in there. You could never be too sure though...

When I had finished my food, I checked the time on my phone, and I realised it was time for me to leave. Panic briefly hit me before I cleaned my plate and put it away before grabbing my dance bag. I made sure everything was in it. Like sheet music, water, healthy snacks, headshot and CV and dance shoes (like my jazz, ballet and tap shoes). One could never be too prepared.

After taking a deep breath, I looked back at my bedroom door. I had a fleeting feeling of hope that I could go back to sleep and forget all about my nerves, but I dismissed it, knowing I couldn't miss an opportunity like this. I swung my bag over my shoulder and I made my way towards the front door. But when I got there, I saw a white piece of paper taped to the wood. I peeled it off and read the words on it.

Hey girl!

Okay, so we're probably still in bed by the time you're setting off for the audition. I'm not even going to think about the headache I'll be getting in the morning. So, I thought that I'd write — with input from Michael — this little note for you.

Break a leg on your audition today. We know you'll smash it. Even though you know all this, but take deep breaths and try not to let the nerves take over, but most of all; have fun! We'll be here and waiting for you to tell us all about it when you get back.