Chapter 12

Chapter 12: Sneaky

• • •

April 2014

NIALL'S POV

This was becoming a routine for me. I know this is weird and unhealthy and just plain creepy but I just can't help it. I try to tell myself again and again that I'm just fascinated by my ghost counsellor as I sneakily admire him at his basketball practice everyday, sweaty and grinning, happy that he is getting more chances to play than before, or so he's told me. But who am I kidding? I've got an unhealthy crush which I would never admit to having.

But... damn, he's hot.

My eyes widened as Zayn poured water over his face, then ruffled his hair, sending water drops flying everywhere and I caught it all due to my heightened senses. I gulped as I noticed the water droplets sliding down his neck. God, get a grip Niall!

Why am I having these feelings for Zayn all of a sudden? I can't have a crush on an alive person...? That is just too fucking complicated! And besides, Zayn always keeps everything strictly professional, and so should I. Isn't it funny, a ghost crushing on a living person? Ugh.

I shook my head and closed my eyes, banging my head on the bleacher I was hiding under. Hiding from Zayn, yeah.

But the head banging was a bad idea, because my head just sailed through and I ended up being sprawled halfway through the bleachers, looking like the plank had sawn my body in half.

"Having fun?" A voice amusedly questioned, and I straightened up in shock.

"Molly?" I gasped, recognizing my friend by her distinct ginger hair. Yes, the same Molly who had shown me the ropes of the ghost world when I had died, and was wondering around like a lost puppy as soon as the Reaper had extracted me.

"Hey, Niall! How are you doing?" she asked softly, taking a seat on a bleacher, and I copied her actions, concentrating on not sailing through them again.

"Good, yeah. I'm good," I answered, avoiding her eyes.

"Niall. I think you're close to finishing your business over here," Molly spoke in her soft tone.

I frowned, looking at her. "How? I thought I needed to tell Josh I loved him, and I did exactly that. But nothing happened. Yeah, I felt lighter, but other than that, nothing. So how can you say I'm closer?" I demanded, frustrated.

Molly placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. "Trust me. You're closer than you think. And you're going great. Just don't question whatever you face, go with the flow," Molly smiled, and I had a feeling she knew more than she let on. Knew about my newfound creepy feelings for Zayn.

Molly always knew more. More than a ghost should know.

"Yeah! Justin, mate!" The basketball boys hooted, and we both snapped our attention back to the rowdy humans.

Justin, the asshole, had just walked into the gym, wearing the basketball team's uniform, and Zayn was patting his shoulder with an elated smile, his eyes shining. Anyone can tell that Zayn is whipped.

"Cheers for making the team, J," Zayn congratulated him, and Justin just smirked, and nodded. Oh, great. He made the team too? Can he be any more perfect?

Molly noticed my scowl. "Why the sour face?" she giggled, then followed my line of vision.

I peeked at Molly when she didn't say anything further, and she was frozen in shock, her eyes trained on Justin's laughing figure, her hands clenched into tight fists in her lap.

"What the Hell?" she murmured, barely audible. I frowned. And as if she had called out Justin, he snapped his head towards us and shot Molly what looked like a gloating look. The hell?

"Molly? You okay? You know that guy?"

Molly shook her head in awe, turning back to me. "How in the world is he...?" She abruptly turned to me, stumbling over her words, something I had never seen her do. "Niall. What relation does he have with the ghost counsellor?" she demanded, almost panicking.

"He's his boyfriend, I guess," I spat.

"What?!" She gasped, then closed her eyes. "Oh dear, this is... I gotta talk to.." Molly was pacing now.

"What, Molly? What's wrong? Is that guy trouble? I knew it!" I snarled. But how does Molly know Justin?

"How do you know Justin?"

Molly smiled ruefully. "Justin. That's just his human name, Niall. And if he's Zayn's boyfriend? Then this mess just got way more serious for you."

~*~

MOLLY ON THE SIDE >>>

~zarrycupcake xx