Ch. 11- Is That So Wrong?

Now let’s get back to the good part of the story, shall we? ;) Me.

Hahaha I’m kidding I’m not that conceited. But anywayssss.

So where did we leave off? Right… right… leaving the restaurant.

~

As soon as he said what he said, it instantly reminded me of the Hunger Games. How Peeta took Katniss’s hand in that first parade and acted like it was just for the games and the media… but in reality, he held her hand because he wanted to, he needed to, and it was for him, not for the media.

Was Ashton doing the same thing? Did he want an excuse to hold my hand? Apparently he wanted everyone to be talking about us holding hands, that’s why he did it in front of all the paparazzi. Why would he want everyone to think we were on a date? And how would I explain that to Alainey? The only thing I did know was that I had no answers to my million questions.

I shot back a bit of an unsure smile, but didn’t let go of his hand. My heart was beating really fast from his wink, and I prayed to God that he couldn’t feel my heart beat through my palms.

Ashton walked over to the corner of the curb, with me following, still attached to his hand, and got out his phone. He quickly called a cab service and requested to be picked up here.

Within 10 awkward minutes of avoiding the paparazzi, the cab arrived and let us inside. We got to the nearest Walmart about 14 minutes later.

I paced up and down the movie isle looking for something to get my brother, but I was clueless.

“What do 14 year old boys like?” I turned to ask Ashton, who was reading the back of some western movie.

“Girls.” He replied without even having to think.

“Right… ok, let me rephrase. What would a 14 year old boy want for his birthday? …From his sister?”

“Something with hot girls in or on it” Ashton said, putting the movie back down.

“Like…….?”

“You could get him like a gift basket full of babes” he let out his signature chuckle as he spoke. “Like a poster with some half naked girl and like… some movies with like Megan Fox or whatever.”

While he spoke, I have to admit that I wasn’t focusing on what he was saying, but the way he was saying it. His Australian accent was prominent, but ever so adorable. He sounded happy the way he talked. It was as if someone could be facing completely away from him but hear him talk, and they would just know that he was smiling when he was speaking. Like… you could hear his smile.

I snapped out of my daze when I realized that there was a slightly awkward silent moment after he ended his little idea speech. Yes, my daze was because Ashton was distracting me with his voice, but also because I was getting really weirded out that my baby brother was developing a big interest in… well, boobs. That was something I don’t think I’ll ever be ready for.

“Ummm… sure. That works. You can pick out the movie since I know nothing about hot chicks or action movies which they star in. I’ll just go over to the poster bin over there and find a lovely picture of a girl with major daddy issues and not much clothes.”

“Wait-” Ashton said as he grabbed my arm and looked me in the eyes, his beautifully colored eyes gleaming in the ceiling light. “Stay with me.”

I guess he could see that I was confused as to why he didn’t want me to wander off 50 feet by the look on my face, because he followed his words with “For protection. Remember? That’s why I came with you?” And then he did it again. He winked.