Chapter 2: A Lucky Save

~Your POV~

Since that day, I got closer to my classmates. I found that I enjoyed being around every single one of them, despite their faults. They each accepted me in their own little way and I was grateful to them for that. I stayed closest to Nagito. Every day I had to reprimand him for putting himself down all the time and he did tend to ramble on about hope, but I was all that he had. I was the only person that would talk to him nicely as everybody else in the class hated him. I got to know him better than anyone else and unlike the rest of my classmates, I could see his qualities as well as his flaws. He was selfless, he only cared about his classmates, even if it was because of his feelings towards hope. He was always optimistic because he smiled, even if he was insulting himself or if the rest of the class was feeling troubled. I knew that he was someone that I could rely on.
My class had its ups and downs, its good and bad moments, as well as moments when everything was just completely strange. Today was one of those days. I walked into the classroom, only to dodge a piece of debris. Sighing, I walked into the classroom. Nekomaru and Akane were having a training session, and had reduced the classroom to rubble. I stood to the side with most of my classmates, watching the scene unfold. Looking around, I saw that Chiaki and Ryouta weren't in the classroom and Nagito was still sitting at his desk, dodging the debris with his usual smile. I looked at him with a fond expression; he really is the Ultimate Lucky Student. And he was my friend, who I thought very dearly of. He caught my gaze and I had no time to see what his expression was, because I had looked away with a blush dusting my cheeks. I was embarrassed to had been caught staring, anyone would have been. But my heart was beating so loudly and so violently, I thought that everyone could hear it. I felt happiness bubbling in my chest and I didn't know why. I watched as Akane drank the Doping soup that Hanamura had made and my body soon filled with dread. This bad feeling was soon confirmed when Akane suddenly transformes and began to fight Nekomaru. The classroom became even more wrecked than it already was and I was so preoccupied with dodging projectiles flying towards me that I hadn't noticed Nagito now standing by my side. The whole room turned to chaos and I was so absorbed by the chaos that I didn't notice until the last second that a piece of the wall was flying towards me. I could only react with a gasp. But someone else reacted faster. I felt a hand grab my wrist and pull me away from the piece of rubble. My head collided with a warm chest and arms wrap around my rigid form. The rubble smashed against the wall and shattered, but once again I could only hear my own heart beating. My breath hitched and my eyes widened. The colour of my cheeks was nothing compared to the way it was earlier. My face was red and I felt both nervous and at peace. His heartbeat was rhythmic and calming. But I had never been so close to anyone before. I realised that this could only be one person. Slowly, I raised my head to meet Nagito's gaze. He was looking at me with his signature smile but seeing concern swirling in his eyes made my heart beat even faster.
"I managed to save you just in time. I really am lucky." Nagito said, ending his sentence with a chuckle.
I couldn't help but smile in response. His joy brought me joy as well, but I couldn't figure out why.
"Are you alright, (f/n)?" he asked, looking unusually serious and concerned. 
"I-I'm alright. Thank you for saving me, Nagito." I replied, my voice still a little shaky from everything that had just occurred.
He released me and I felt colder. I stared up at him, in awe and confusion. Awe because he saved me so easily and was so casual about it. Confusion because all of these feelings inside me were conflicting and I was being overwhelmed. It was then that Miss Yukizome told us all to clean up the mess that was made in the fight and I quickly occupied myself with that job. But why....?

"Why Nagito? Why did you make me feel this way? And why didn't you just let me quench the flames of my unrequited love?"