Part II: Earth IV

"Of course, of course. But the way you told the story was truly magical. I haven't heard a story like that in many years." he smiles which I at first mistook for friendly but the longer I stood watching the cruller it seemed. He's a strange man.

"Why has it been so long since you heard a good story?" I ask looking away from his crooked smile.

"She came and went very quickly." His reply was loose.

"She?" I turn back to him trying to read his face.

"We found her out in the city many years ago, lost and almost dead. Once she was brought back to camp and given water I called her to this very tent. She sat where you sat and told a great story of how she left her family to go after the man she loved that had left where they had lived due to a difference of belief with the others that lived there. She traveled till her supplies were gone and she couldn't go a step further. She spoke of how she had come to welcome death and would wait for her love in the afterworld." He stopped and gave a big sigh leaning back in his chair.

"What happened to her?" I am scared to ask, I can feel a sense of familiarity in the story.

"She died. It was truly unfortunate." A hint of a smile crept to his lips and the light caught his glass eye in a strange way.

"I think I will go back to my friends now." I step back carefully avoiding the small table behind me.

"I don't think you need to go just yet besides, They have been moved to an area of more," He pauses menacingly, " benefit."

"What does that mean?"

"Do you know why you are here Ari?" That question comes out of the blue.

"What?"

"Do you know why I brought you here?"

"You didn't bring us here." I begin but the Chief burst into manic laughter. "Stop that," I shout his laugh unnerved me.

"Of course I brought you here." He turns to look at me. "A young man came many years ago when I had both eyes. He told me of a base that stood in the desert beyond my people that harvested the innocent for energy. He said his wife and children were brainwashed and stuck there. I didn't believe him, he was crazed and the sun had gotten to him. I was obviously unable to keep him so he was killed." He waved this off as if it were no big deal. "Then a few years later when we found the woman and she told of a similar place and circumstances I was truly shocked. I am an honest man so I had to tell her about the man that came through and how he had lost his mind and was killed. She, unfortunately, rebelled against me and gave me this scar and cost me my eye." He pauses touching his scar tentatively. "She two was disposed of." He smiled, "I believe she found his body." He stops and looks at me. "Don't fret young one you will see your parents soon." My mind is spinning.

"No." I curse quietly to myself. How was I so stupid. Of course, these people found my parents when they left. I try to control my thoughts, keep him talking the stupid old man is too prideful he will want to gloat. "Did they tell you how they escaped?" I ask trying to keep my fears from my face. He smiles slyly.

"No, but your mother spoke of a way into the base that she found on a map she stole. She begged me to go back to find her kids." I take this comment and shove it away keeping my emotions from my face.

"Interesting." I pause. "How do you mean you brought me here?" my voice sounds cool and collected, unlike my thoughts that are reeling to try and find an escape plan. If I made a bolt for the door I wouldn't have a problem, the old man would be slow, the others in the tribe would be a problem. I might be able to get out the back of the tent without being noticed right away but I couldn't just leave without the others.