athletic

I do not want to be here.

I really, really, really do not want to be here.

Andrew whooped besides me, cupping his hands around his mouth as our team scored (or something like that, I wasn't quite sure what was going on.)

I rolled my eyes and rubbed my hands together, trying to warm myself up as the bleachers rattled around me. This was my first high school football game, and with how it was going I could tell it would be my last. Andrew had insisted that I join him for the last game of the season, even though I had adamantly refused. Somehow he had gotten me to wheel myself along, and as much as all of this was screaming date (we were sharing cotton candy, for God's sake...) I was trying not to freak myself out.

It wasn't like this was the first time he had invited me someplace and we shared a treat commonly associated with couples.

Oh my God, was this a date?

"Did you see that, Winnie?" The boy next to me yelled, hitting me roughly on the shoulder as he pointed at the field. The pep band was doing some weird chant with the cheerleaders and the super fans were running around screaming. "We won! We totally just won this!"

Andrew grabbed my hands and pulled me to be standing next to him, something that impressed me considering I was complete dead weight at this moment. Guessing the game had gotten to half-time, I watched as a group of the cheerleaders started running towards where Andrew and I were standing and boosting themselves up on the bleachers.

"Hey, Andrew!" A nasal-y voice screamed, batting her clumpy eyelashes and leaning over for a hug. Andrew laughed nervously and gave her a side-hug, watching me with big eyes.

Awe, he was asking for help.

Well, he made me come to this stupid football game, so the least I could do is let him suffer.

"I'm gonna go get a taco. Want anything, Andrew?" I asked sweetly, almost sweet enough to give him a cavity.

"Hmm, I'm not entirely sure the menu. Let me come with you, Winnie!" He shouted, pushing the girl off of him and following me as I made my way down the bleachers and towards the taco-truck. He ran past me and spun to be facing me, putting his hands on my shoulders, laughing. "I hate you so much!"

I giggled and took his hands off of me and kept walking, swinging my arms obnoxiously. Andrew was walking beside me, waving to people and shouting back at some fellow students. Considering it was only half-time, not many people had come up to Andrew yet, but that was about to be pushed to the ground as I saw a group of football players and girls running up to us.

"Andrew, my man!" A tall boy yelled as he latched himself onto Andrew and slapped his back as they "man-hugged." The guy turned to face me and had a huge smile plastered on his face as he wrapped me up in a hug. Taken aback, my arms were frozen to my side as he did so. "Any friend of Andrew's is a friend of mine!"

"I can't breathe," I said, my voice straining. He let go immediately, laughing his ass off as he stood in front of me.

"Sorry, dude! I'm Kenny, by the way. I haven't seen you around before, you new?" Although the words themselves sounded like a thing a creepy flirt would say, his voice made them have a totally different meaning. It sounded like Kenny was truly interested in who I was, which was something I would have never guessed after seeing him wandering the hallways in his jersey for the past three years.

"No, not new. Just not really involved in anything to make me noticed," My nervous laugh sounded, making it clear I was not used to this type of simple conversation. "I'm Wednesday, but you can call me Nessie,"

"Or Winnie, Wens, even just Wednesday is a good option," Andrew interrupted, swinging his arm across my shoulders and pulling me closer to where he was standing, which just so happened to be where all the girls had circled around him.

I had not realized how many girls even went to my school until now.

"Wednesday, this is Chrissy, Tanya, Madeline, Veronica, Macy, and Loren." He turned to me with a fake smile as he said Loren's name, and it took all my self-control not to burst out in laughter as she glared at me.

"It's nice to meet you all! Sorry to seem rude, but I am starving, and a taco sounds delightful right now!" I introduced myself sweetly, starting to walk towards the taco truck, expecting Andrew to stay with all of his friends. Instead, he kept his arm around me and walked to the line with me. The line wrapped around the side of the field, meaning we were far away enough that we weren't really able to see anybody else that was closer to the bleachers.

"Not to sound mean, but why is your arm around me?" I questioned quietly, getting my wallet from my back pocket.

"I don't really know, actually." He replied, his voice soft.

"Okay, well, not that I care, but you can leave it there. If you want." Even though he couldn't see me, I was smiling.

"Alright,"

The line was at a standstill, and I assumed the truck had run out of food for the night. As people started to disperse, Andrew and I stayed where we were standing, neither of us wanting to go back to the group of people that had surrounded us earlier.

"Loren probably knows it was you at the laundromat," Andrew said, turning us around so start walking on the track surrounding the football field. "I can tell her I just didn't like her if you want."

I stopped walking and faced him, my arms reaching up to fix some of his hair that had gotten messed up from Kenny tackling him. A small smile crept onto my face as I looked at Andrew.

"No, it's okay,"

--

please dont yell at me. :)