"We'll be fine, right love?" Meryl says as she unbuckles the wailing Kamri. Once Kamri is in her arms, she clings on harder than she has before.

"I'm so sorry" Maks says looking back at them, handing Meryl Kamri's school bag.

"It's ok. We'll settle down when we get inside like we always do. Right Kamri?'

Kamri just buries into Meryl more. Meryl closes the door, looking right into Maks' eyes trying to tell him it's ok without words. All she can see is the worry in his eyes. He looks away and drives away. It was the shortest eye contact they'd had to date since their first meeting.

"Let's get inside Kamri.

~

After lunch and half way into the afternoon class, Kamri comes up to Meryl with tears in her eyes. It was play time so Meryl figured it was something to do with a friend.

"Kamri, love, what's wrong?"

"YA khochu , chtoby moya mama!" she says and the tears start to flow, turning into sobs quickly.

"Oh Kamri" Meryl says scooping her up. She holds her close, rocking her and rubbing her back. She isn't calming down. Thankfully Kendal is teaching this afternoon so she can sit back with Kamri until she calms down. Meryl finds a chair and sits down. Kamri keeps her head on Meryl's shoulder but starts to settle. After a few minutes, Kendal comes over a laughs a little.

"Meryl, she is asleep."

"Are you serious?"

"Yes. She is out cold."

"Aw, poor girl."

Meryl ends up holding Kamri all through circle time and when they go outside. She is sitting at the picnic table in the shade while Kamri still sleeps. Kendal does dismissal today since Meryl can't. Maks was one of the last people today which was unusual. Kendal lets him onto the playground and he comes over and sits next to Meryl.

"Hi Maks. She has been asleep for about 20 minutes or so. She was pretty quiet all day."

"She uh, she has a lot going on right now" he says sadly, not even looking at Meryl. He is looking at the ground but she can still see the sad look in his eyes. "I can take her" he says reaching out to Kamri. Meryl starts to move her but Kamri starts to wake and starts crying, saying "YA khochu , chtoby moya mama!"

"She said that when she came up to me earlier. What does that mean?" Meryl asks, still trying to pass Kamri to Maks but Kamri won't let go of Meryl.

"Come on Kamri. Let's go home" Maks says, not answering her question.

"No! I don't want to! YA khochu , chtoby moya mama!"

"Kamri, Miss Davis has to go so she can go home just like we need to go home" Maks says finally getting Kamri from Meryl, leading Kamri to cry harder.

"YA khochu , chtoby moya mama!"

"Kamri, you know you can't have Mommy. Come on. Let's go home" he says still not looking at Meryl. Kendal had already gone inside to give them privacy.

"No! I want Miss Davis then!"

"Kamri, she has to go home."

"No! I want Miss Davis!"

Maks finally looks up at Meryl and she sees a pleading looking in his eyes, like he is asking her what to do. She stares into his eyes, not sure what to say or do. All of a sudden she is speaking, shocking herself.

"Well I was planning to go to the park to walk around, maybe you two could meet me there?"

"Please Uncle Maks!" Kamri pleads, finally looking at him.