Chapter 6

(This is one of my favorite songs out of Sleeping at Last. I feel this kind of fits with the theme of the chapter, or Danny in general, if you really think about the meaning behind the lyrics. Also, more A/N at the end of the chapter. It's a long one.)

It was a lovely summer evening in Happy Harbor, Rhode Island. The warm blue sky faded to an array of colors as the sun made way for the stars and moon to take the spotlight.

Danny relaxed underneath a tree, both of his hands cupped with a firefly inside. Next to him was an unpeeled banana. He looked through his hands and watched the firefly rest on his palm. He opened his hand up and watched it fly away to join his friends. He closed his eyes and looked up as the cool northern wind brushed against his face and arms, hugging him briefly as it whistled a soft and quiet tune.

Kids screamed and spoke loudly in the background, talking about dumb things they discovered they can do and shouting about who was It or not. Dogs barked and panted as they chased each other, tennis balls, their owners, or frisbees. Teenagers chatted, either about gossip or which boy at the park was cute or not. Couples remained quiet or ran around, enjoying nothing but each other's company.

If it was any other day before, he would be jealous or bitter. But now, looking around, he’d see that some people are lonely just like him. Like that stray dog sniffing around for scraps. Or maybe that kid chasing the fireflies while his parents watched. Or a teenager, staring at the fireflies and holding a banana while his mind roamed. It was kind of symbolic, like what Lancer used to describe in his boring teachings (if and when he could pay attention at least). 

Danny couldn't help but smile. He sighed peacefully. Today wasn't supposed to be a day to mourn, but a day to breathe.

****

The street lights turned on, signaling for people to head to wherever they needed to be. People started to pack up their picnics. Parents called their children back. Owners whistled for their dogs.

Danny took this as his cue to stand up and make his way back to his temporary home. He threw his banana peel in the garbage as he made his way out of the park, across the street, and down the sidewalks.

It was a bit far from the park, not that he minded, though. He liked the peace and quiet. 

He took a turn to a dead street, one where very few cars drove by. It was always a well-needed route after hearing two dozen kids scream loudly for two and a half hours. However, he doesn't drop his guard. The worse times always come when no one is around.

This would soon come to be a blessing for one young victim.

He turned another corner. Over the quiet of the streets, he heard silent cries and hushed laughing in an alleyway. Curious, he peeked around one of the buildings that were near the source of the cries. What he saw were two men standing over a young dark-skinned girl, who appeared to be 12 years old, huddled between a dumpster and the wall. Her jeans were tattered and dirty, and her elbows were scraped and bleeding. A pair of broken glasses laid near the entrance of the alleyway. 

One of them threw an empty beer bottle at her, shattering at her feet. She cried out and covered her face, trembling. Danny narrowed his eyes at the man.

Still invisible, he ran out from his spot and to the thug. Pebbles crunched and shifted from under his feet, startling the two men. As he ran, Danny decided to use the moment to transform into his ghost form. He jumped up and threw a punch at the thug who threw the bottle.

“What the f-” Danny kneed him in the stomach. The man’s eyes nearly popped out as he doubled over and tumbled onto his knees. He knelt there, gasping for breath while his arms cradled his stomach.