Chapter 3

A few weeks had passed since he met Johnny and Kitty in Happy Harbor. Since then, he had flown from Rhode Island to Washington DC where he decided to rest before he moved on. He didn't really know where he was going, he just knew that he had to keep moving. He couldn't let Vlad find him.

The sun was shining overhead and there were various white cotton candy clouds moving sluggishly across the blue sky. A nice breeze brushed past Danny, fluttering the black bangs that peaked under the bill of his red and white ball cap. It was such a nice, peaceful morning that he couldn't help but slip a small smile.

Danny walked through the hustle and bustle of an industrial area in the city. Noise was all but non-existent to him as he walked as if in a trance. His thoughts and emotions were like a dulled rumble of thunder, acknowledged but ultimately ignored. Eventually, he came across a two story grey building with a sign on the front that read Cadmus in green lettering. It sounded familiar, some sort of genetics lab owned by Lex Luthor.

But something made him freeze in mid-step. There was an acrid smell, a familiar smell that made his gut clench.

Fire. Smoke. Pain. Fear.

It was smoke, and from where he stood, he watched in shock as there was a loud boom and a couple of windows shattered outwards followed by flaring orange flames. He couldn't move; his legs felt like they were made of lead as he watched the flames roar and dark grey smoke billow out of the window.

He shouted as his family, friends, and teacher were engulfed in burning hot red flames. The explosion left his ears ringing and the shock wave pushed him forcefully back. He landed on his shoulder heavily but the pain didn't register. Muzzily, he struggled to sit up. His ears wouldn't stop ringing, his skin felt hot, and he was in pain. When he shook that off, he looked up to see the twisted remains of the Nasty Burger, now engulfed in the inferno.

"No!" He wailed, tears stung his eyes painfully as smoke curled in the air.

"Hey, kid, are you alright!"

The vision slowly started to fade, but Danny swayed, eyes unseeing. He barely registered someone shaking his shoulder. A guy was trying to talk to him, but all his overtaxed brain heard was muted sounds. He closed his eyes tightly, but he could still see the flames. Their eyes. God, their eyes. The way they looked at him nearly ripped his core open.

"Kid!" Danny startled at the shout and stared blearily up at the fireman that was shaking him in concern. "Are you alright, do you need medical attention!?" He asked above the commotion of gathering people and the loud sirens of the fire trucks.

Danny shook his head slowly as his head cleared sluggishly. He looked at the fireman in confusion before his eyes trailed towards the fire. He sucked in a breath. He slowly started to back away, wide eyes staring at the raging fire and smoke pouring out of the window in growing horror.

It was all too much.

He bolted, leaving the fireman shouting for him as he pushed through the large crowd.

Gotta get away.

When he finally reached the crowd's edge he kept running. He didn't know where he was going he just knew he had to get away. Time was nearly non-existent to him as he raced down the streets, nearly shoving down people as he ran by. His lungs burned. He felt like he could still feel the flames licking at his heels, and the concussive boom in his ears like a broken record.

Run.

Suddenly, he saw a dark alleyway and he skidded to halt, nearly falling over. He dashed into it and pressed up against the brick wall. He breathed heavily, trying to get his wind back before he peeked around the corner. There was no fire, no smoke, and, thankfully, no explosions. He sighed in relief as he crumpled to the ground, back and head leaned against the wall as he took a moment to compose himself. He took deep, steadying breaths. He was safe, he was nowhere near the fire.