Chapter 6

Vivian's POV

So today is Sunday. Which also happens to be day of the Harding's Family Reunion. As hurt as I was last night, I'm not going to cower away and hide. That wasn't my style. So here I am. At the Oak Pavilion Park. With his family. And he's not here.

"Vivian! I haven't seen you in ages!"

I turned around and came to see Uncle Mike walking my way with two champagne flutes in hand. He was a nice man. I remember back when Rich and I were in high school he use to always tell us about his adventures around the world. He's worldly and he believed in giving back. So a lot of his travels were often for charities, like: delivering fresh water, bringing clothes and food to the homeless. But he exaggerates many of his stories to make himself sound like a hero.

"Uncle Mark, it's nice to see you too. And it has not been ages; it's been exactly one year." I said rolling my eyes and pulling him into a hug.

He handed me the champagne and we talked about his travels in Egypt. He knew I was into "all that fashion" as he so nicely puts it. So he describes in explicit detail what they were wearing and the style that's all the fad.

"So how's my boy?" Uncle Mark asked. He's referring to Rich, his favorite boy.

"He's doing good; I'm sure he'll be here soon." I'm not even completely convinced he'll be here.

"Of course, of course. And your parents?"

We did small talk here and there, mainly chatting about family, weird excursions, and the other fundamentals. But I always made sure to check the tent opening for a certain someone.

I danced with Uncle Mark and a few other members of the Harding Family. It was fun, and I loved seeing Rich's nieces and nephews. They grew more and more every year. But I needed a break. I just felt like I was faking my way through today. All the smiles, and countless champagne, just seemed so inferior.

I'm sitting outside the elegant white tent that was set up to shield from the wind and falling leaves. The bench I was sitting at was posted right next to a pathway that led around the park in an oval shape that went on for a good mile. I hugged my crème pea coat closer to me. I just had to wear a skirt today. I let my hands graze the silkiness of my skirt. I only had a blouse on underneath and my feet were freezing in my strappy sandals.

The wind was blowing lightly, and the trees were painted in a beautiful red orange. It's as if they were dancing. I could hear the music from the tent and the constant chatter. I just needed a few minutes away from all the noise.

A few minutes turned into an hour and that hour turned into two. He wasn't coming that's for sure. I made sure to look at the tent every now and then to see if I'd recognize him. But who am I kidding? I'd never miss him. He always stood out from the crowd and his flashy black Porsche wouldn't go unnoticed either.

Some of the workers were already starting to clear the tent and fold up chairs and tables. And the caterers were pushing out carts of food as we speak. Looks like the reunion is coming to an end.

I unlocked the door to my apartment and threw my purse onto a nearby couch. The warm air was nice compared to the weather outside that started to rain cats and dogs. I need a hot bath.

I sunk into the large tub and I am not leaving until my fingers are all prune like. I think that's one of the only good things about the apartment. The bathroom was huge. It was bigger than my kitchen! It had a large tub that I absolutely love to soak in, and a separate shower against the opposite wall. It had a double sink and a long, horizontal mirror too.

I stepped out of the bathtub and wrapped my favorite, fluffy pink towel around my body. I made sure to tuck it in tightly. I was trying to brush my long hair that had endless tangles when I heard a knock at the door. Really? Right when I'm getting dressed.

"Hold on, I'm coming!" I said as I put my bathrobe over the mere towel I had on.

I swung the door open, and there stood before me was Isis and few other workers from the boutique. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little disappointed that it wasn't Rich.

"Um...hi? Is there something I can help you with?" I asked as I awkwardly stood there in my bath robe.

"Actually we came here to help you!" Isis exclaimed as she pulled out a bottle of wine from her over sized purse.

'You guys, no it's late and-"

"No more complaining. This is your last day in New York before you head out to Cali, so we have to do it right." She entered my apartment with the other four girls following.

Oh, boy. This oughta be good.

"I love you guys! You're the best!" I said as I poured another shot of tequila.

"Cheers!" I yelled as I downed my shot and hit the glass on the table.

Now you might be wondering, aren't you more responsible than this? And are you drinking away your sorrow because of a mere argument with your best bud?

Well the answer to both of those questions are yes. I am smarter than this, usually. And so maybe I am going overboard because he didn't believe me. But the girls were right. This was my last night in New York before I head out to one of the most grand fashion shows of the year. And I had to do it right. A little alcohol won't kill anyone.

We spent the night dancing and drinking. And thank goodness, Janice, one of the shop assistants, knew how to mix drinks.

"Alright, I think it's time we go home." Isis said.

"No! Not yet. We're just starting to have fun!" I whined.

Isis giggled. "We've been having fun for 4 hours. I think that's enough fun for one night. And you have a flight tomorrow at 10am."

"You guys are so awesome." I slung my arms around Janice and Bernice.

"As interesting as it is to see you drunk, Boss, I think Isis is right. We need to head out before we do anything crazy." Bernice said as she pulled on her coat.

"Ah, you're no fun, Berny!"

The girls started filing out and wishing good nights. But I was wide awake and I felt happy. Happier than I've ever felt in a long time. I think it's the tequila.

"I hope your hangover isn't too bad tomorrow Vivian. And have a great trip, and don't worry about the boutique. We've got it handled; we'll see you in a week." Isis said as she lightly closed the door.

I sunk into the couch. I'm thirsty I thought. I got up on my wobbly legs and made my way to the fridge.

"Goddamit! Only water and juice." I swore under my breath.

I looked at the clock and it read 1:36. That's not too late to buy a nice bottle of wine is it? Or maybe some Smirnoff? I don't know, I guess I'll grab whichever I see first.

"Excuse me, ma'am. I can't sell you this."

"Why not?" I complained at the mean cashier.

"It's against the policy to sell to intoxicated drivers. And you're..intoxicated. I believe I saw you pull up in that car." She said as she pointed outside the window towards my car.

"It's not like I'm gonna get in a car crash or anything." I rolled my eyes at her.

"Miss, we can't be held responsible for selling you any alcohol and it could lead to drunk driving. And by the look of things, you've already had enough." She said as politely as she could.

"How would you know?!" I must've caused a scene because the two or three people in the shop stopped what they were doing and stared.

"Ugh! Fine sell, don't sell. I don't give a fuck!" I screamed as I left the liquor store and slammed my car door shut.

I continuously hit my steering wheel and wrestled to get my seat belt on. I laid my head in my hands. Why am I such a dummy? Why'd I have to screw everything up?

I calmed down a bit and pulled out of the store parking lot. I just need some aspirin and I'll be fine by morning. Well, that's what I keep telling myself. That is until my car breaks down.

"Are you freakin kidding me right now?" I muttered.

I got out of my car and lifted the hood. A lot of hot smoke came from the engine. How am I suppose to fix this?

Cellphone!

That's it! I just need to call for help. I ran to the drivers seat of my car and looked for my phone.

Ah, shit! I didn't bring it. I must've left it at home. I looked to my left and right. I was near a couple stores that closed way before midnight. And all the cafés were closed too. The only lights came from the clubs that were a few blocks down.

Mm, should I? What if I get jumped? Or worse, raped? But I can't just stay out here all night and my sort meant was a good 3 miles from here. Yeah, I'm gonna just go use the phone and get out. Simple and fast.

"Um, hi. Is there a phone somewhere I can use?" I asked trying to sound only mildly drunk.

The bartender pointed with his head in the direction of the restrooms.

"Thanks."

The bar was relatively quiet. Looked like only the older fellas came in and all the younger people went to the one across the street that was booming with music. The scene was almost familiar.

Who was I suppose to call? My parents, they were out of the question, they both must be sleeping by now. And I can't call Isis since I don't even know the girl's number. The only person I could call was Rich.

I sat outside on a bench and I was very close to just falling asleep right here.

"Is it just me or is this déjà vu?" I heard his voice ask.

"That's what I thought too." I laughed lightly.

"You're drunk." It wasn't a question.

"Maybe a little. The girl's thought I should loosen up a bit."

He made a grunting sound. "Well you're not gonna start telling me about a guy that tried to molest you, are you?"

"No. This isn't like that. My car broke down."

"Ah, so I'm not gonna be your knight in shining armor once again, Viv?"

"I'm sorry." I blurted.

It was quiet for a long time before he responded.

"It's okay. And I'm sorry if it seems like I was cutting you out of my life. Alise told me that might be it."

"She told you what?" I asked completely confused and angry.

"She said you might be feeling left out and we were always so close, so I understand. And I'm sorry for that. I also want you to know, the only reason I can't go with you to the show is because I have to have dinner with Alise's parents and I couldn't make it to the reunion because I forgot the times it started and ended." He explained.

"You're meeting her parents? It's getting pretty serious huh?" I whispered the last part.

"Yeah. Funny isn't it? Just a month ago you said I needed to settle down and here I am." He smiled.

"Yep, there you are." I tried to sound cheerful.

Rich said that he would get someone to fix my car and by the time I came back it should be good as new. So he drove me home. The car ride was in complete silence. It wasn't bad but I wouldn't say there wasn't any tension.

"Hey, Viv?"

"Yeah?"

"Why did you say that?" I knew what he meant. Why would I tell him I saw her cheating.

"Rich, I would never lie to you, and you know that. It's more than just our time together being cut short, I just don't trust her." I said choosing my words carefully.

He sucked in a big breath. "I trust you, Viv. With all my heart. I'll look into it."

"Thanks, Rich. And I trust you too."

Once he dropped me off home, I dove straight into bed and was out like a light.

Richard's POV

I told her I trusted her. And I meant it too. But Alise wouldn't cheat. Sure she could be spoiled and clingy but that's how she was raised. But she was also alluring, witty, and sensitive.

I threw my keys on the bowl on the coffee table. The house was modern. The whole first floor's exterior was brick while the second floor was glass. It was elegant and organized. Just how I liked it. The kitchen had the latest technology but I didn't cook much. I could cook but I'm not amazing at it. The living room had sleek, black couches angled towards the flat screen and the chimney was rarely ever used right below it.

"Babe, you're finally back." I heard Alise's voice behind me. She was standing in the doorway wearing only my dress shirt.

"Yeah I just needed to help Viv." I said as I wrapped my arms around her waste.

"Oh, you needed to help her." She said as she walked to the kitchen.

"It's not like that." I followed her.

"Of course not, but every time she needs help you always go rushing to the rescue." She crossed her arms across her chest.

"Well I can't just leave her stranded. We've been best friends for as long as I can remember-"

"I've heard this story like a billion times already, Richard."

"Then you must not listen well because I'm just saying the truth."

"Why do you always take her side?"

"There aren't any sides to take, Alise, and if there was you know I'd choose you." I said.

"You seem to second guess me when she accused me of cheating." She said.

"If you didn't do it then stop being so defensive about it Alise. I've had enough let's just go to-"

"Whatever. I need to leave anyway, I have a meeting tomorrow." She grabbed her purse and was on her way towards the door.

"Don't be like that." I said as she slammed the door. Why is she so frustrating?

I wanted to surprise Viv and say goodbye at the airport. I didn't need anymore issues in my life so I could at least see her off since I wasn't going with her.

I saw her even before I entered the see through sliding doors. I'd notice that figure anywhere.

"Viv!" She turned around and once she saw me her face lit up.

She had her hair in a curly updo and she wore a simple mid sleeve shirt and light wash jeans.

"Rich!" We hugged instantly and I twirled her in a circle. Her laughter rang through my ears and I could smell her light floral perfume. It was feminine and familiar. It felt nice.

To outsiders, we probably looked like a couple meeting in a long time but in truth I was just bidding farewell to my best friend. But any guy would be lucky to have her, she was really special.

"I didn't know you were coming." She said as we pulled apart.

"I wanted to surprise you." I grinned.

"I thought you'd be with Alise's parents?"

"Not till tonight, but I couldn't miss saying bye. What am I gonna do without you for the next seven days?" I said.

"I'm sure you'll think of something." She teased.

"Yeah, you're right. I'll just get a couple strippers and I'll be good to go."

"And here I thought you were settling down." She said shaking her head mockingly.

"No girl could ever tame all this." I said as my hands gestured to my body.

She laughed again and it was music to my ears. I needed this. A nice break from all the drama and just a little harmless teasing.

"Whatever you say, player." She nudged me with her elbow.

"We are now boarding passengers for flight 216." The PA announcement voiced.

"Oh, that's my flight. I should head out. I'll see you in a week?" Viv asked hopefully.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world, babe. Now get outta here before you miss your flight." I saw a flash of something in her eyes but I couldn't be sure before she grinned happily and hugged me.

"I'll miss you." She whispered to me.

"I'll miss you more."

~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~

"It's hard to wait around for something you know might never happen; But it's harder to give up when you know it's everything you want."

Some of you may wonder why I started putting these quotes here^^but I try to find something that sorta kinda maybe relates to the story or because I just find them really inspiring :3

As always, thanks for reading :D !