Consequences

Draco's face gets closer and closer until I am not longer breathing. His pale blonde hair has fallen in his face, casting shadows over his cheeks, but I can still see his grey eyes. They are so dark and stormy they are almost black as he refuses to look away. Then his lips are on mine and an explosion of feelings explodes through my body, radiating out from the points where our lips meet. It feels like fire is burning its way through my veins, leaving behind an intense heat and electricity as it works its way through my limbs and chest, settling low in my stomach. My eyes finally close, but his face is burned in my vision. I can still see every inch of that beautiful image. Then sight gives way to touch. Draco's lips are firm and frantic against mine. His arm is tight around my waist, holding me tight against his body while his other hand is tangled in my hair, holding my face to his. I can feel his heart pounding beneath my hands resting on his chest. My head is fuzzy as his tongue runs along the seam of my lips, seeking entry. I open to him and his tongue sweeps against mine, his taste bursting over my own tongue. He tastes like velvet chocolate and moonlight and something uniquely dangerous that makes me ache for more.

My hands slide up to tangle in his long hair, the soft tresses gripped tight in my fist. Now it is me holding his face in place. I can feel every inch of his body pressed tight against mine, making the most sensitive areas ache with need. Impossibly, his grip on me tightens, but the ferocity of the kiss smooths out into a heat breaking gentility and I know without a doubt that this boy could steal my heart, and he could also shatter it into a million pieces.

Without stopping to think or give myself time to change my mind, I drop my hands back to his chest and give him a firm push away from me, effectively ending our kiss. He takes a dazed step back and drops his hands to his sides. His face is a mask of fuzzy confusion.

"I can't...I'm sorry," I whisper before turning and rushing from my room, through the common room and out of the portrait, leaving Draco alone and confused behind me.

DRACO 

My lips sting and my body is cold and frozen in place. I can still feel the ghost of her body against mine but it is just a mocking echo of the real thing. For a long time I am unable to move. I have no idea what happened, all I can think about is the feel of Hermione in my arms, the feel of her lips, her tongue tangled with mine. I can still taste her, like the ocean and cinnamon and rain tinted summer air. Kissing her was like being on every drug known to wizards and all those not known, but without any bad side effects. I could barely think, all I could do was feel, all I knew was Hermione, her taste, her body, her warmth. Then, without warning, she was gone.

When the feeling begins seeping back into my legs and arms, I leave her room. There is nothing left for me there. I stride to my room, pull on my cloak and practically run from the common room, out the portrait hole, through the castle and out to the grounds. Waisting no time, I grab my broom from where I last stored it, swing my leg over it and shoot into the sky until the castle is a small blotch beneath me. Leaning close to the handle, I shoot forward, becoming a blur. Anger burns through me, anger at myself for letting her get to me, but mostly anger at her. So I fly and fly and fly until all I can see is pale blue sky and the wispy white clouds that freeze my now moist skin, making it sting until I can no longer feel the anger and the longing absence her touch left behind.

HERMOINE

Ginny knows something is wrong the second she sees my face. She immediately leave the Gryffindor table where she was eating breakfast and pulls me back out of the room, through the hall into a small alcove.

"What happened," she demands as soon as she is sure we are alone.

"I kissed Draco Malfoy," I tell her, seeing no reason to lie and needing her friendship.