A New Start

Waking up in my new bed is a pleasant experience. It is like swimming slowly to the surface of a pool warmed by the sun and when my face breaks the surface, I am fully awake. I don't get up automatically. Instead I take a moment to appreciate my new bed. It is huge and soft, and as I starfish out, I am surrounded by lovely pillows and a fresh, crisp comforter. When I do sit up, I take another gaze around my amazing room. One wall is completely filled with row after row of books, some old and some new. Kiddie corner to the mini-library is a huge desk loaded with parchment, quills and bottles of ink. But my favorite part of the room is a huge comfortable lounge that is placed under my huge window. From it I have a breath-taking view of the lake and Forbidden Forest. If I had known being Head Girl was this luxurious, I would have done it long ago.

But all too soon it is time to get up and get dressed. I grab my clothes and robes and slip out of my room into the bathroom. I walk carefully around the empty pool sized tub to the shower rooms. I lock the door behind me and set my clothes on the wide counter next to the sink. I walk over to the glass encased shower and turn on the water. I am immediately pummeled by steamy water from all directions. I didn't realize it was a Vichy Shower before I got in, but now I never want to leave. I stay under the pouring water until the last possible moment, then I step reluctantly out and get ready for the day.

When I am done, I head back to my room and grab my bag. It isn't until I am rushing across the common room that I notice the sleeping form, half hanging off the couch. I stop dead in my tracks and stare. Draco is obviously never made it to his bed last night. He is still in his white shirt and slacks, and even his shoes. A silent war battles within me, do I wake him up or leave him there and make it to breakfast? Sighing deeply, I make my decision and walk slowly over to his sleeping form.

He looks so different asleep. All the hard lines and sarcasm have left his face, leaving it soft and almost angelic. His long, dark lashes cast dark shadows on his cheek bones and his lips are slightly parted. A small giggle escapes as I realize something...he is snoring. It isn't loud or obvious, but he is actually snoring. I never expected it, though I never expected to find him sleeping either. I reach out and shake his warm, muscular shoulder.

"Malfoy, wake up," I say. His glazed eyes flutter open and lock right on me, bent over him. I stop shaking him but his gaze keeps me frozen with my and resting on his shoulder.

"Hermione?" he says sleepily and then clears his throat.

"Breakfast is almost over, you should probably get dressed," I say lamely.

"Oh, okay. Thanks," he says and I am finally able to straighten up and leave the room. It isn't until the portrait of Snape swings closed behind me that it hits me. Malfoy said Thanks? What the heII is that about? Malfoy never says thank you.

Totally weirded out, I speed through the halls to the Great Hall and grab a piece of toast just as Professor McGonagall hands me my schedule.

"How is it going with Mister Malfoy, Miss Granger?" she asks, giving me a once over.

"Oh, its okay professor. We haven't had any problems," I answer honestly.

"Well, that's good. Have a good day Miss Granger," she says and walks away. As soon as she is out of ear shot, Ginny practically runs me over and it is a second before I realize what she is saying.

"How was it? Was it awful? Did you two fight? How's your room?" she asks all of this very fast and I have to place a hand over her mouth to stop the spew of questions.

"Nothing exciting happened Ginny. We went to our room, looked around and went to bed. We barely even spoke and when we did, it was cordial. As for the room, it is amazing Ginny. It is absolutely amazing. I will show it to you tonight after dinner if you'd like," I offer and she is quick to agree.