twenty-two

chapter 22

[ R E A G A N ]

This morning was the least of what I expected. What I thought was going to be a welcome home breakfast was actually a let's discuss your future kind.

Not only did my parents act as if I never left, which is normal for most people I guess, or maybe just me, but they thought the best way to greet me was shoving the thought of college in my face.

Where were they when I was planning out my future my junior year? They were pushing the idea of a university somewhere across the country. Little did they know, I already had taken my SAT's and ACT's, I even took my placement test at community college.

Boy, were they disappointed. But they were more concerned with other things, it's like I didn't exist to them anymore sometimes.

They weren't always like this, in fact, I will say that it's my fault considering ever since my sophomore year, when my attitude changed, so did theirs towards me.

That, and they were struggling with bills and whatnot. So even though they didn't mean to ignore me, it kinda felt like they did at some points given how bitter I was two years ago and how I would accidentally take it out on them.

All in all, nowadays, the only thing about me that mattered to them, was if I was safe.

Eventually, the college talk thankfully ended as we noticed I'd be late to school if they kept it up.

But then I had to face another thing I wasn't fond of.

School was a bore. I was either on my phone or just reading. I bumped into people here and there, being really lazy and careless all day.

I didn't sleep much last night. After Harry left, I stayed up a bit. Not because of him but because I genuinely didn't feel as tired as I did before he came over. I felt my eyes were heavy but I wasn't tired which was just plain weird. I tossed and turned and nothing. I can't even remember at what point I finally fell asleep.

I yawn as I turn the page to my book, trying to do anything and everything to avoid social contact with anyone.

Of course, that didn't last long.

"Hey."

I look up to find Mikaela approaching my table, and I force a polite smile as she sits across from me. I bend the corner of my page where I left off since I dropped my bookmark somewhere in the hall. Probably when I bumped into someone while on my phone and had my book tucked under my arm.

"So," She says rather excitedly, "How are you? What are your plans for the weekend?"

I look at her with a raised brow and arms crossed on the table. "I'm decent. Exhausted but decent. Why?"

"Exhausted?" She asks, her tone changing. "From what?"

"Didn't get enough sleep," I shrug, refusing to to get into details of last night. That, and I knew I'd get an earful all over again.

"Well, you have until this weekend to get your shit together so you're well-rested for Saturday night," She smiles again.

"What's on Saturday?" I lay my chin on my crossed arms as I wait for her response.

"There's a senior year bonfire," She squeals. "It's not a school event but all seniors are going as a last hoorah. There'll be booze, I'm not sure about music but most likely there will be. I mean, there has to be. What's a party without music?"

"I thought you said it was a bonfire-"

"Same thing," She rolls her eyes and I suddenly grow agitated with her presence.

Excuse me for trying to poke some fun.

The rest of lunch is silent. For me, anyway. I don't really pay Mikaela mind. Granted, she was on her phone the rest of lunch, anyway. And at some point she took off and left the cafeteria just seconds before the bell.

Classes came and went. I had Adams last period which of course was the worst. Having seen him for a full straight week, day in and day out. And now I have to see him yet again.

Just a few more weeks. A few small weeks and I'm out of here, I mentally cry to myself.

Only, to my surprise, he wasn't here today. Instead, we had a sub. I only knew that from glancing through the small window and seeing someone that was not my teacher.

So I skipped. My school was unfortunately gated so it didn't make leaving that easy. Security was lazy however, especially the one by the football field so that made it an easy breeze to leave.

I wait in my car for the final bell, leaving my windshield covers up and moving my car seat all the way back so I can nap in peace until they open up the lot gates.

I set an alarm for the final bell, and when the bell did go off and I was awoken, I waited a couple of minutes until the lot started to fill up and the gates had opened up for me to leave.

The rest of my day flew by like any other day however. As I said before, it was almost like I never left.

My parents didn't talk to me much during dinner. In fact, they barely noticed me as they discussed bills until my dad spoke up after realizing how quiet I had been.

That made them ask me about the trip and, although part of me wanted to be petty and say it was fine, I decided to suck it up and tell them everything.

And by everything, I mean the grading process, the activities we had to do, the bunks, about the area, the shitty cell reception hence why I couldn't call when I got there (or even call at all really). Completely leaving out being partnered with and having sex almost everyday with my childhood best friend now worst enemy. Or ex-enemy? Frenemy? I don't know nor care.

Whatever he was, I wasn't gonna mention him to my parents, whatsoever.

After dinner, I was up in my room, laying on my stomach on my bed as I started on my homework. I couldn't want until the final few weeks of school where we didn't get any homework at all anymore. I was completely done with this year not even a month in when it first started.

Just as I'm finishing my math homework and getting started on my English, my phone vibrates. I groan. Even though this usually made me happy so I can take a break from homework, tonight I genuinely wanted to get it over with and be left alone.

At first I'm a little surprised when I see Harry's name on my screen. And then I'm even more surprised when I read his text.

Hey. I'm coming over. We need to talk.

+

finally planned out the ending to this. super nervous to see this pan out tho omg

hope you liked this one! love you, guys!

- ky