five

chapter 5

"So, did you have lunch yet?" I ask casually, feeling a bit strange knowing I'm actually trying to have a decent conversation with him as supposed friends.

We were laying on our bunks for the past twenty minutes. Harry on the top and me on the bottom. I think talking like this made it a little easier for the both of us not having to physically face each other.

"Yeah," He chuckled in response, "I mean, I mostly took pieces off Jake's tray but seeing you leave didn't really give me a chance to have my own food."

"Hey, no one told you to come after me," I remark with an amused smile.

"I didn't come after you, I went after you," He replies wittily.

I roll my eyes knowing he couldn't see me, "That's the same thing."

"There's a huge difference, Reagan. Trust me," He laughs.

I sigh, laying back comfortably; arms sprawled out on my sides and legs weirdly crossed at the ankles.

"You think we'll manage this week?" I ask suddenly, still unsure of all this.

Despite having a conversation with him now without breaking out into a fight, will me and Harry actually attempt to get along throughout the trip? I can only hope.

"I don't know," Harry replies, shuffling on the mattress above me, "But like I said, all we can do is try."

Just as I was about to speak, an eerie whistle is blown outside, making both Harry and I peek out the window signaling everyone to come out from whatever cabin we were in.

Harry jumps down from his bed before I jump out of mine, sighing and looking at each other awkwardly. I clear my throat, looking anywhere but at him as I nod, brushing past him and head out the door.

We approach the emerging group crowding our teacher who was doing another headcount before finally telling us his reason for calling us out.

I find Mikaela, standing by her side as Harry heads towards Jake on the other side of the crowd.

"Okay, I hope you all have settled in. I have gathered you all out here to explain the week and what it will consist of throughout this trip," Mr. Adams announces loud enough for us farther in the back that couldn't hear clearly. "First and foremost, there will be a list of subsequent activities. One activity after the other each day of the week."

There were murmurs and groans going on in the group before Adams would be able to explain further.

"The activities will be graded based on your participation and efforts in contributing to each assignment given to you," The teacher concludes, making everyone rethink their previous reactions. "And, lastly, what will boost your grade the most, is whether you can cooperate with your partner during the entirety of the trip. From now until the end. No switching, trading and such."

Harry and I glance at each other, knowing that although he wasn't indirectly saying it to me and Harry in particular, he was clearly referring to us in the situation.

We turn our attention back to Adams as he spoke again, "If you and your partner aren't able to work together, you will not only sit out of the activities, but you will also fail my class and, of course, be removed from the trip, all in all."

I notice Harry look over at me again, giving me an I told you so look. I only roll my eyes, having not known he would be right about it.

"All right, clear?" He asks to the group, no response whatsoever, "Good. We start tomorrow at noon. Breakfast will be served from seven to eleven-thirty. For now you all can settle some more as you prepare for tomorrow."

Mr. Adams waves us off, the group dispersing and heading off into different directions.

"Do you think he was talking about you and Harry?" Mikaela whispers to me as we walk back to the cabin areas.

"I'm almost positive he was referring to us," I mutter, kicking a rock as I trudged across the mossy field.

"If anything, I wish you two the best and hope neither of you get kicked off the trip," She tries to sympathize with me, and I give her a small smile as a thank you.

I nod at Mikaela who waves me goodbye as she heads back to her bunk, probably going off to catch sleep since she hadn't napped on the way here.

I make my way towards my bunk, Harry suddenly appearing next to me as we walk alongside each other.

"So, as I was saying," He exclaims, "That plan about fighting in front of Adams. Tell me, are you still taking it into consideration?"

"Shut up," I hiss, "I didn't think removing us from the trip would be an option."

"It's Adams, why wouldn't it be?" Harry remarks, as if I'm supposed to know that.

"I didn't know, all right?" I spit, opening the cabin door as we walk into the bunk, "But it doesn't matter now, considering we already shook on trying to make amends for this trip."

"We didn't shake on it?" Harry says in a questioning tone, quirking an eyebrow at me and I roll my eyes at his stupidity.

"It's a figure of speech."

"No it's not," Harry defends, "Saying we shook on it would mean we'd actually have to shake on it. And we haven't."

I groan, sitting up on the dresser with arms crossed and head leaned back on the mirror, "Can we just don't and say that we did? We agreed to it regardless so shaking on it really wouldn't make a difference."

Harry shakes his head, "Fine, whatever."

"So," I get comfortable on the dresser, "Tell me, do you really think we're gonna survive this trip as partners?"

Harry takes a seat on my bed before crossing his own arms, "What makes you ask again?"

"I dunno," I shrug, "I'm still on edge about it. But I meant like, do you really think we're gonna cooperate during these so-called activities?"

"The word trying exists for a reason, Reagan," Harry mutters.

I was still skeptical about this entire thing. One part of me was saying we'd make it out alive, while another part was telling me to hold my white flag up and just surrender myself from this trip while I have the chance.

But I couldn't.

For one, I'd already paid for this week, and I wasn't about to risk failing a class just because me and Harry weren't capable of working together.

I was all for trying, but something was telling me it wasn't gonna work out. Something was bound to happen, but I wasn't entirely sure what.

+

for the record, this is still the first day of the trip. that way I can extend the days & whatnot. & like BBF, it will be short at first. but it will expand later on. can't wait! :)

vote & comment? love uuuuu!

- kylie