Display (Part 1)

It was my first day on the job. My first day of dancing and performing in front of an audience in 2 years, my first day of working in Gotham.

I know that Gotham is a dangerous place. I've heard all about it. But if that's what it takes to take on my love for performing, then so be it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walk into the golden nightclub, music is blaring loudly and pulses through my body as soon as I step inside. The smell of alocohol, perfume and sweat lingers in the air. The buzz of laughing, talking and fighting. Drinks are being clinked and some glass is being shattered.

I didn't realize I had been holding my breath at the scene until a tall man in a grey suit comes up to me, blocking my view. "Need any help, miss?"

I blink rapidly, straining to hear his voice over the incredibly loud bass. I try to say clearly, "Yes. I'm a performer. I start at 10." I glanced down at my silver watch. It read 9:40 PM.

"Of course," The man smiled and gestured toward the back of the club. "Right this way, sweetheart." He started to lead me inside the club and I looked around me, taking it in. Almost everything was gold and white. The leather couches were the color of snow while the walls were a mix of intricate shades of gold. The floor was a dark wood color and glass tables were scattered around the club, some with white booths. It was strangely beautiful and I had never seen a club like this before.

I didn't realize that I had lagged behind the suited man until I suddenly snapped out of my trance and saw that almost the whole crowd had made a path for me leading to the back of the club. All eyes were on me and I felt embarrassed yet confused. I was a performer, I should be used to being stared at, right?
I looked around me, slightly frightened, feeling their eyes burn into my back as I started to walk back to the suited man.

"You're new here." He chuckled, explaining why the normal club goers were acting as if I were their prey. He opened the door for me and I entered a dressing room with 4 other girls my age (24 years old)

The four other ladies getting ready at their mirrors glanced at me and quickly turned back, continuing their conversations with each other, as if I were just another newbie.

I took a seat on the other side of the dressing room, a vanity table all by itself. I looked at myself in the mirror, lit up by light bulbs surrounding the edges, and untied my dark hair from its tight ponytail, letting it fall over my shoulders. My makeup was already done for the night but I put on another coat of dark red lipstick.

 My makeup was already done for the night but I put on another coat of dark red lipstick

(^outfit^)

The same suited man that led me to the dressing room, peeked inside and pointed at his watch. "You're on in 10, sweetheart."
I smiled at him and he left. I made my way backstage and saw a DJ playing music but no other person was on stage. I felt a jitter of nervousness run through my body as I got a glimpse of the crowd that was dancing to the song being played. I've forgotten how it feels backstage. I tried calming myself down by breathing slowly in through my nose and out through my mouth, adjusting my hair and crop top.

"We have a new performer tonight. Please welcome her to the stage: Liza!"

An eruption of claps and cheers could be heard from the other side and I smiled to myself, adrenaline taking over me. A single pole stood in the center of the stage and I walked to it, standing in front of the DJ who was about to play my song. The lights were almost blinding and it dimmed the crowd in front of me as I heard the beat of the song start.

You don't own me.

I'm not just one of your many toys.

You don't own me.

Don't say I can't go with other boys.

I moved my body to the sweet sound of the lead singers voice, sliding my back against the cold metal pole. I felt the audiences eyes on me as I dropped to the floor and quickly stood up again, doing a combination of turns.

But when I turned back to face the audience again, I felt a weird sensation inside me. Like hot lasers. Like someone was watching me. Yes, the whole crowd was watching me. But this came from someone specific in the room.

I continued to dance along the stage, using the single pole every now and then. I searched aimlessly in the crowd for whoever was staring at me, staring so strong that I felt it burning in my skull.

Please, when I go out with you.

Don't put me on display.

But I did feel on display. I felt like I was performing for someone special, not just the hundred people that were on the dance floor watching me.

I twirled down on the metal pole, glancing up, and that's when my eyes found a pair of blue ones, staring with seemed like a strong look of hunger, back at me. Those eyes belonged to a pale skinned man, green slicked back hair, his red lipped mouth was agape as he watched me slide up the pole again for the last time, and the song ended.

He looked like he was sitting on a throne, in one corner of the night club, almost hidden from the rest of the world but he seemed to have the best view in the house.

I heard the crowd cheer and clap and whistle and holler, but my eyes were glued to his

I heard the crowd cheer and clap and whistle and holler, but my eyes were glued to his. I absentmindedly started to walk off the stage, my mind telling me that it was my cue to leave. I felt dazed as if not only dancing my heart out on stage was exhausting, but the fire in that mans eyes seemed to put me in a trance.

"Hey, sweetheart,"

The same suited man that kindly led me inside the club earlier was now standing in front of me, not letting me pass. I looked up at him, a bit intimidated by his height.

"The boss wants to see you."