REDUCI

24

Andrea is not here.

As the sisters sit around Petra's feet in a semi-circle, whispering, their bodies close together like they're scared the ghosts of their words may escape and haunt them, all Petra can think is that Andrea is not here.

Only the shape of her body, covered in blankets much warmer than those in her home, looking much less famished. She has been here for only seven hours, but the discomfort of the cold marbles and hard metals transforms hours into days and Petra is sad.

Something in her has broken. Her friend almost died, and she did nothing. She felt nothing. This is what Andrea must have meant all those times she called Petra a statue, without feelings or expressions. Suddenly, she feels too much, too many things at once and she just wants to hug Andy and be left alone and never be alone all at once.

Being an unbreakable, omnipotent deity never could've prepared her for feeling like she's about to cry every second of the day. She isn't anything like Sofia, who sheds tears more than a snake sheds it's skin.

Sofia is crying at the moment. Her soft hands are covering her face and she stands separate from the others but they know, only because it's not a rare occurrence. Normally Petra would've ignored it, but it's irritating her eyes and she feels an unnatural sympathy for Sofia's tears.

"Why are you crying?"

Sofia turns to Petra, shamelessly opening her red, smoky eyes.

"I almost k-killed your friend."

Petra sits on her heels, holding Sofia's face in her hands.

"But you didn't, right? And it was an accident, she understands. Nobody is upset with you, so there's no reason to be upset with yourself. Come, let's get some fresh air and get out of this place, it's too cold and dry."

Sofia nods, intertwining her fingers with Petra's before the older sister can shove them into her pockets.

When Petra looks away from Sofia, the young girl smiles.

"It'll be okay here, won't it?"

Petra nods.

"Yes-I think so."