twenty one.

chapter twenty one

chapter twenty one.

          She just stood there, incapable of doing anything. It was like she had no more tears to cry, no more anger to express, no more of her voice that she could use to scream until her throat was raw. Robyn didn't have the power.

"They took him away, to an isolation unit, I think. I don't know what they're doing with him." Dugan placed a hand on her shoulder in attempt to show her some kind of comfort. It was the least he could do at such a time.

"Well, they're not curing him, that's for sure. But he's not dead. I know it."

The prisoners just watched in pity as the girl took deep breaths and stared into nothingness, quite obviously straining her mind in order to reassure and convince herself of her own words. They had incredible amounts of respect for her, for how strong she was, having to go through so much pain and still not give up for Bucky's sake.

"You boys should rest, it's been a long day," she stated, and with every syllable she pronounced, her sorrow seeped through. She only said it out of sympathy, as in she was thankful for all they had done already, despite knowing they were hardly going to rest. None of them had rested well since being captured– the icy concrete was no bed.

"Robyn, what rest?" Gabe questioned, earning a chorus of mumbled laughs from the prisoners as they all descended to a sitting position, preparing themselves for a long night ahead.

The girl gave a weak smile and rolled her eyes. "Yeah, yeah, sorry. What is 'rest' anymore?"

"Non-existent," Dugan replied. More laughter. Times like these made the Hell they were in a tad bit better. Not as good as being free once again, but it was as good as it got, and they weren't taking it for granted.

"You know, I hope we all die together. There's no one else I wanna die with," Robyn admitted.

"I second that," Jim Morita stated, and the rest of the cellmates that Robyn had bonded with over the past while since they had been captured began to mutter and cheer in agreement.

Robyn sighed, glancing up at the HYDRA guard who paced up and down above the cells just to make sure he was listening, so that maybe he wouldn't have the satisfaction of knowing that their torturing wasn't working on the prisoners and they weren't losing their will to live. In fact, the prisoners were motivated even more by torture. If they were ever to escape it would be like a literal heaven, a light at the end of the tunnel.

A thud came from above, and the soldiers joined Robyn in looking up above them, where the guard had fallen unconscious. Confusion struck them all for a moment, and a mysterious figure pounced onto the body, fumbling about until he retrieved the guard's keys.