Chapter Seven

My mother told me that sometimes the only person a woman can confide in is another woman. The only problem there is picking the right woman to confide in.

I threw up, again. I was so sick of this, but most of all, I was scared. And I had reason to be. About an hour after throwing up almost as soon as I had awoken, I was sitting in my bathroom again, my stomach more upset than before. Upset, because of my panic.

In my left hand, I held a positive pregnancy test. I was pregnant and I was pregnant with Fern's kid. How could I have been so dumb to not realize, to not remember, just how cautious you have to be.

Now I'm pregnant.
Oh God, I'm pregnant.

My first reaction to this was the feeling that I needed to call someone. Kellie, she's the only one that almost knows Fern as well as I do. So I called Kellie. She picked up after the third ring, concern in her voice as she asked me what was up.

I told her I needed to tell her something. She replied that she needed to tell me something too. Knowing that mine was graver, I decided to go last, and told her to tell me hers first.

"I think... I think that I've started to develop feelings for Fern. I know, it's dumb, I shouldn't be. I hate myself for this. For getting attached so quickly. I guess it's just because he has been so nice to me, I can't help it. I can't.. oh God Laney, what do I do? I thought you two were together, then he told me you weren't and I just.." I could hear her pacing, and I knew she had to be alone, "I just don't know. I don't know." My heart broke in my chest as her voice broke over the phone.

"Kellie I..." I ran a hand through my hair, buckling over my legs, "I don't know what to tell you..."

She laughed softly, in almost a sad way, "That's fine. I'll figure this out. I'm probably just confusing gradatude with love. Now, what did you need to tell me?"

And I couldn't. I couldn't tell her. So I told her I got sick again, and that she should watch out if she starts feeling queasy. I told her if I'm not better tomorrow I'll be going to the doctor. I told her that everything was going to be okay. Then I told her I'd talk to her later.

When she hung up, I collapsed against my legs and cried. I cried, and I cried, and I cried till I was sure I would become dehydrated. I don't know what I should do.

I curled up on my couch, and I cried a little bit more. I sobbed and wailed so loud my neighbors would've come running if not for my legs that muffled the sounds. I held my stomach in my arms, and I would've cried more if I wasn't out of tears. So I just sobbed and whimpered. I thought about not keeping the baby, not keep and just not tell anyone I was ever pregnant.
Then I thought about telling Fern and him choosing to start a family with me. I thought I was out of tears.
Then I thought of a lie I could tell. It was another guy's. I went to a party, got blasted, then boom. I lied about being sick one of those days, I lied because I went to a party. Then karma got me back.

Then I really needed to tell someone. I couldn't tell my mother, and I couldn't tell Kellie. That meant I could only tell one person.

So I got in my car and drove to the cinema. I ran into the building, and ran right into the person I was looking for.

"Delaney?" I collapsed into Mrs Gentry's arms. I started to cry again, and she let me. She let me cry until I was completely and utterly cried out. So cried out my eyes ached, and my head was cloudy from the storm. "Delaney, sweetie," her voice was low and smooth as she wiped at my tears, "What happened, honey?"

I told her. I told her everything, from my feelings to our relationship, to Kellie, to Kellie's feelings, then to the fact I was pregnant. Mrs Gentry didn't say a word the whole time I was speaking. She didn't budge, barely ever blinked, and her expression remained the same. A few moments passed after I was done talking that we just stood in silence, staring at each other. Then she spoke again, her voice still so low and gentle- I felt safe, "Delaney, you will get through this." She smoothed a hand over my hair, "You are a strong young lady, and you are smart. I know you will make the best decision, because I know you." I sniffled, bearing a small smile just to say thank you. She patted. My shoulder, then dropped her hands to my hands, "Now, you are going to go home and get some rest. I'll be by early tomorrow morning, and I'm taking you to a doctor. Okay?"

"B-but-"

"No buts! Now drive home, and be careful. Get tons of rest, and eat something healthy." She squeezed my hands before dropping them, "I'll see you tomorrow."

I nodded, "Tomorrow." Then I left. I drove extra safe, and I got a salad just to be on the extra healthy side. I drank three waters, and took a long shower. I then crawled into bed and got comfortable. I played on my phone for a while, occasionally looking up questions I had about pregnancy and stuff of the sorts. I was still indecisive on what I should do.

What should I do?

That's the question that needed an answer, so I put my phone down and thought about it. I thought about it until I decided on an answer, and then I set my mind to that answer. There would be no backing down, this was the final decision.

Then I closed my eyes and went to sleep.