Chapter 1: Little Do You Know

Death...the very notion that can terrify even the coldest of souls. It was never something I was afraid of; if anything, I was waiting for it. I mean how can someone be afraid of the inevitable? This form of unguarded thinking was expected when you had the life that I had. Uncertainty, fear and self-loathing were all natural feelings to be had. Yet, I was still holding on for something; a higher power. I believe that every person out there is born for a reason; for a true calling. You just have to keep searching until you get there. Maybe if you play your cards right you'll end up somewhere even if you started nowhere, because everyone does...eventually.

"Em, you look great! He's gonna be blown away!"

"What...? Oh hey Andrea."

"You okay?"

She inquired in genuine concern.

"Yeah, just thinking..."

"About?"

I sighed heavily, fixing her with an indecipherable gaze.

"Nothing important..."

She gave me a skeptical look.

"Emily..."

"Fine."

"What is it?"

"I have this...feeling. That something bad is going to happen."

"...Like what?"

"I don't know...It's probably nothing."

"Emily..."

"This have been rocky recently, with Ed and me."

"Yeah I realized that part. I saw you guys fighting a couple days ago...and yesterday."

"Yeah...well we've been like this all month."

"What are you guys even fighting about?"

"Lots of shit. But the one that's pissing me of the most? He's hiding something from me."

"That doesn't sound like Edward."

"Exactly."

"But if that's the case he probably has a good reason."

"Good reason or not, we don't do that shit. We've been together for four years, and he may be too proud for his own good, but I mean, what is so bad that he can't even tell me?"

The rumbling sound of a motorcycle pulling into our driveway put our conversation on hold. I looked out the window and watched the familiar silhouette dressed in his patented leather jacket, and black jeans, take off his helmet and run his hands through his glossy earth brown locks, turning his piercing emerald green eyes downwards, staring at the pavement, before taking a deep breath. He was clenching and unclenching his free hand into a fist, and I could immediately tell something was up.

"I'll go open the door for him, you just finish getting ready."

"Thanks, Andrea." I replied with that sheepish smile she knew all too well. Andrea is the closest thing to family that I've got. We got adopted together when we were kids by Rachel – who manages to be both the sweetest and most badass person ever simultaneously – and we've been inseparable since. My mind is wandering again; I really need to focus on getting ready. But I can't shake the feeling that something is wrong. Is it all in my head? Or did Edward look...off when he showed up?

I finished my makeup and took a look at myself in the mirror...not bad if I do say so myself. I hope nothing goes wrong. Okay, I'm done being negative, I'm sure Today will be great, yeah, that's the right attitude. I mean, it's our anniversary; our fourth one. I wonder how he's gonna top the last one? I could feel myself being lost in remembrance, recalling the trip on his motorcycle, all the way down to Los Angeles, the amazingly upscale restaurant we ate at, followed by exploring all of the beautiful spots in the city. We ended up staying the night at this amazing hotel...all planned by my marvelously thoughtful boyfriend. Knowing him this year will probably be even better. Alright, moment of truth... I braced myself and headed downstairs, looking around the living room, before realizing that Edward was nowhere in sight.