Another Christmas

Start from the beginning

Remus smiled.

Sirius sat up then, and looked around. To his surprise, he found there were two stacks of presents by the foot of his bed and Remus's (he wondered for a moment what the house elf that had put them there had thought of the two boys sharing one of the dormroom beds). "Blimey - we've got presents," he announced.

"What?" Remus sat up, excited, and saw the presents at the foot of the beds.

The boys climbed out of bed - neither having expected there to be anything there for presents, neither able to afford anything for the other and not having families that could or would give them anything... They sprang at the gifts feverishly and started unwrapping.

The first one Sirius opened was from James. It was in a flat box with golden snitch paper and contained the red leash and collar with the Snuffles tag on it and a note that contained a bunch of dog puns. Sirius laughed at the joke gift.

The second one was also from James - the real present - and contained a handful of 8-track cartridges for his stereo in the Shrieking Shack, including a couple new albums that Sirius had never heard before.

Remus's present from James was a jumper with a most outrageous striped pattern. One stripe was green with grey wolves knit upon it, the next was blue with yellow moons, then grey with green and brown trees. The three lines repeated over and over all over the sweater, which had long sleeves with holes for the thumbs to poke out. Remus tugged it on over his head and grinned at how long and thick it was. "Blimey this is excellent."

"Hey look! It's you! You're on your sweater! Hello little wool Moonies," Sirius said, reaching over to pet the little wolves on Remus's sweater. "Jeez-haloo that's thick. You're going to turn to a puddle."

"It's perfect," Remus corrected, "I'm always freezing cold."

"But I keep you warm."

"Yes you do and this jumper will make your job easier," Remus laughed.

Sirius smiled.

Next were presents from Peter, which were three bars of chocolate each from Honeydukes. In Remus's was also a picture frame, which folded with two separate photo slots and a note that said Peter had found it really comforting having a picture of his mum since he'd lost her and he saw this picture frame and thought Remus might like to keep a picture of his mum and one of his dad in it together. Sorry I don't want to make you sad on Christmas, so I've put some funny pictures in the frames for now. Remus opened the frame up and inside were two pictures of Peter, making funny faces and he laughed, smiling and thankful for the thought that Peter had put into getting the frame for him.

They each had a gift from Lily Evans, too, who had gotten them each a brand new Gryffindor tie, a set of stationary, and fresh quills and ink - several colours of ink, including one labelledinvisible. Sirius had to inspect this of course and he read the directions. It would write initially in blue, it said, and then fade off within minutes to be invisible. The only way to read it again was to cast a spell - and it gave the incantation there below. Perfect for secret messages and passing notes in class, boasted the label. "Brilliant," he announced.

Remus turned the bottle over in his hand, the very start of an idea mulling about in his head - but not enough of one just yet to mention it to Sirius... but the beginnings stirring.

Lastly, Remus found a small box at the very bottom, wrapped in purple paper with a great silver ribbon of stars... there was a note on top.

These were found on your father's person and have been returned to me since the investigation began. I thought it best if they went directly to you, rather than back to the house, for safekeeping. I expect you will want them one day, and when that day comes, you'll have them. You are a very strong boy; perhaps a man already. May you always remember to see to be yourself, for you are a unique and mysterious collection of stardust - as we all are, our bodies made of the stuff. Never be ashamed of who you are, no matter who it is that has made you doubt. Happy Christmas, Dumbledore.

"What's that one?" Sirius asked, looking over.

Remus held out the note for Sirius to look at and he read it outloud. As he read, Remus opened the box and inside he found Lyall and Hope's wedding rings, situated together in an even smaller box, covered with black velvet.

James got an owl from Lily that night, just before bed.

Potter,
I look forward to the Dalek impression. I prefer the cybermen as far as bad guys go but I agree the Daleks are quite funny. I've heard Tom Baker is going to be brilliant. I was hoping you would choose the Holy Grail film - it looks terribly funny and I was going to ask Frank Longbottom and Ali Prewitt along to see it, too. Is that alright? I've saved money for popcorn and drink, so don't worry about that. Meet me on 4 January about noon at the Leaky Cauldron and I'll show you the way from there. The cinema is great, you'll enjoy it quite a lot, I'm sure.
I am glad you got to be at home for the holiday. How is your chest? Is it going to leave a mark? I'm so very sorry for any (and all) parts that I have played in all of this. I really hate that Severus did this to you. I don't know what to think. I never would have expected it of him, but lately there seems to be more and more about Severus that I never would have expected and it scares me because it's not who he really is. If you knew him like I did once upon a time then you would understand what I mean. You'd really like him if you knew him like I once did... Well maybe you wouldn't. There's a lot of bad blood between you two that I don't fully understand the reason for.
I've enclosed your Christmas present.
Happy Christmas, Potter. See you 4 January.
Evans.

Attached was a package with the same quill, inks, parchment, and Gryffindor scarf as Sirius and Remus had received.

James smiled and took the scarf and tied it 'round his neck right over his pyjamas.