The Day It All Began

I can't sit still any longer.

Waiting for Maya to finish her test is just too much to ask of me. I know that she's a slow test taker, but could she speed it up for the rest of the class?

The substitute teacher stares at the blonde, probably hoping she'll hurry up, so she can go on her break. There's a sub today because Mr. Matthews isn't here for some reason and neither is Riley. I think Riles mentioned that she was feeling sick the other day, so maybe her and her dad are both sick.

"Okay. Everyone is excused. If you didn't finish the test, come by after school to finish."

We all get up and leave as quickly as possible, meeting up in the hole. All of us decided to meet there everyday before lunch at the beginning of our sophomore year. Well, the beginning of this school year. 

"Could you be any slower, Maya?" I ask her jokingly.

She grins. "I mean I could."

I'm about to retort when all five of our phones ring at the same time. We look at each other then spread out to answer our phones.

"Hello?" I say.

"Farkle dear, it's your mom," she says in an urgent tone. "I'm going to pick you up right now, so grab everything you'll need for the next few days."

I furrow my eyebrows. "Mom, what's going on?"

Just then I hear Maya and Smakle crying, Zay saying that it's not possible, and Lucas raising his voice. Now I know this is really serious.

I hear a sigh. "It's Riley."

And that's the last thing I hear because even though my mom is talking I block her out, running to the front of the school to wait for her with the others close behind. I don't know what happened, but I do know that I need to be with my best friend right now.