25

When Sam woke up she heard multiple voices around her, only one she could clearly identify as Carl's. Her legs were warm, slightly burning-too tired to care. "How do we know we can trust her," she matched his voice to the man with the red hair. "She saved my life," Carl defends her. She would smile if it didn't mean it would give away the fact that she's awake. "Didn't look like it," she knew the gruff voice from anywhere, the man with the crossbow. "Daryl's right," (Carl's dad), "she can barely stand, more looks like you saved her life."

"You don't understand," Carl sighed. "We would if you told us," Daryl said, she had a name for one. It went silent for a couple of seconds that felt like with standing hours. "It's not her fault she can't stand," Carl broke the silence, "he...Gareth put her in a cage...more like a kennel. You couldn't move in there even if you wanted to." Sam decided if she opened her eyes, it would be too dark for people to see them open, unless she was super close to the fire. "Would you know?" Daryl lifts an eyebrow. It's then that Sam realizes that her head is laying on Carl's lap, when she can feel Carl's arms shrug up and down, then a second later a casual, "yeah" comes with it.

"Hungry?" They are woken up by a nudge of someone's foot. It's Daryl, he has a dead rabbit hanging over his shoulder. Carl nods eagerly as he sits up, Sam sits up next to him. After they are cooked and equally handed out, Sam can't help but stuff her face, it was cold again and her legs would've been freezing if it weren't for Carl's jacket over them. Carl tried not to show his hunger but it was probably obvious that they were both starving. Did Gareth feed Carl's group? Sam couldn't help but think, I mean they were all hungry, but her and Carl were starved. Michonne, Sam caught her name, asked them if they wanted any of hers. Carl declined but Sam would of snatched that piece of meat out of her hands in seconds. Even if that wasn't a good first impression. As they all sat by the fire softly talking about their next plan, Carl pointed out who was who as they spoke. She learned every name and rehearsed them in her head.

"We need to examine both of your injuries and Glenn, Daryl and Maggie went on a run to find us supplies and you pants," Rick told them as he hunched down, "Carol and Michonne will examine your injuries. Bandaging will have to wait until they get back."

When they finally did arrive back to their little camp site inside the cabin with medical supplies and a couple of extra guns, Carol decided to examine them then. Michonne helped check Carl first, his ribs were badly bruised and bite marks, which were for the most part faded and couldn't be seen underneath the layers of bruises, lined his ribcage. Carl refused to take off his long sleeve shirt to show the injures on his arms, not that they knew any were there, he excused himself saying there was no need and it was too cold anyways. Sam's arm was covered in dry blood which yet haven't started to scrape off, it covered her deep bite she got from Gareth. Carl nearly forgotten until Carol gasped. "You're bit?" It was more then a question then anything, like she didn't want to believe it, like over the only several hours of knowing this girl she grew on her.

Sam backed away quickly as Daryl rushed to look, gripping her arm a little too tightly to get a look for himself. Her trying to back away at the same time as someone was pulling her forward wasn't a good combo for her sore body. She panicked and looked for Carl for help. She closed her eyes and tried to push the much larger man away. "We're you bit?" Carol asks frantically. "Yes she was bit! That's a bite mark ain't it!" Daryl says, pulling the girl's arm with more force, "look." Sam tried with the strength she had left to pull away, but Daryl was too strong. Carl saw the pure panic cross her face. "Stop," Carl jumped in front of Daryl and Carol, "she's not bit." Daryl gave him a confused look, "sorry Carl but she is, look. Just a matter of time until-"

"Until what?" Rick steps in with Abraham, and everyone behind him. "Look Rick, I think Sam's bitten," Carol says sadly, pointing at her arm. Sam kept her eyes closed. "When-" Carl yanks Daryl's hand off of hers, "she's not dad, I swear," he turned to Daryl, "and keep your hands off her."

"How do you explain the bite then!" Daryl throws his arms up, "you can't protect your girlfriend forever." Carl bit his lip in slight embarrassment, "She isn't-she's not bit, right Sam." Sam could only nod and peek her eyes open, "I mean-" Abraham cuts him off, "Don't lie about this boy." Rick steps in, "Don't talk to my son that way. Carl tell me the honest truth." Carl nods before going on, "she wasn't bitten by a walker, more like a human, by Gareth it was like a fetish of his or something. That's what he told me and Sam."

"Is that so," Michonne hunches down to get a look for herself, "she would be turned already if it were a walker." Rick nods in agreement trying to swallow the disgust and hatred he was feeling towards that man. Carl nods like someone finally understands, trying to ignore what Daryl said. She's not my girlfriend he wanted to say back, like he did in 3rd grade, before this life, to a kid who was making fun of him for liking the 'weird' girl. To Carl she wasn't weird she was just a cool girl who liked to play with fake guns and video games and, Carl was the only one that let her join in during recess.

With a swift move to get his arm around Sam's waist he hoisted her up and out of the cabin. Still limping a little, but so was Carl. Maggie whom had went with them to look for anything useable, came up to them, "I found something for Sam," she kneeled down next to them as they sat by the fire pit. Maggie held up a plastic grey bag, Sam looked at it curiously but didn't move to try and take it. Maggie smiled encouragingly, "it's okay, they're for you." Glenn, Tara, and Carol watched from across the pit. Michonne stood at the door way curiously watching, like trying to figure the girl out somehow.

Sam shyly glanced over at Carl who sat closely next to her, their legs touching. "Sam appreciates it," Carl extends his hand to grab the bag. He hands it to Sam who immediately takes it, looking inside she pulls out a pair of jeans. She smiles with gratitude towards Maggie, then smiles at Carl, like it's the best present she ever had. Carl met eye contact with Maggie and smiled sadly. With a quick gesture of 'your welcome' Maggie gets up and heads over to Glenn.