Chapter 23: amidst the palm

Start from the beginning

         "What the---" The bastard who shot off the bullet continuously fired bullets to the old man but not a single one hit its mark as bullet shells fell on the floor and the other captives watched in amazement until the bastard ran out of bullets.

        "Humans, run away now. Don't worry. You won't get hurt because I will be protecting you. Nothing can hurt you now." I said reassuringly as the captives turned to look at me.

         They looked at me with doubts in their eyes before they exchanged looks with each other. I waited for them to follow my instructions and after some time, one stood up.

          "open fire." The leader of the bastards said and bullets zoomed to the guy who stood up and closed his eyes but opened them a second later when no bullets hit him.

         "I-I'm alive... I'm still alive!" The guy shouted in disbelief and amazement and other people stood up.

       Bullets were fired every now and then as more and more stood up but no one got hurt and I watched in amusement as the armed wicked humans began to panic.

       I flew a meter above the ground and spoke. "All of you leave now. I'll take care of these people." I said in a loud and clear voice as the humans who were dumbfounded stared at me.

        "No! Not yet!" Someone said, surprising me and I raised an eyebrow. Do they want to die?

        "Beat them up!" One of the humans shouted and angry yells filled the air as they angrily attacked the armed guys in mobs much to my astonishment.

         I just watched them with a smirk on my face, looks like I don't need to do anything at all, they're there to kindly do the work for me. Those bastards deserved what was happening. They had no heart, to the extents they'll kill hundreds of their fellow men. Tsk.

        "Angel!" I looked down and saw a girl with blonde hair below me, looking no more than twenty years old---no, five years old in human life. Ugh, the age references confuse me at times.

       The woman earlier was holding her and I smiled as I flew down when the child opened her arms for a hug as I chuckled. There's no harm there since the little girl was such an adorable little creature herself. So cute and so innocent.

       "I am no angel dear one, I'm just a simple creature." I said and gave her the hug she wanted. She smelled like strawberry and it was so sweet, just like her. I heard her giggles as she played with my hair and her little hands touched my cheeks. So warm....

         "I don't understand what in the world is going on but thank you. Thank you so much for saving us." The woman said and I turned to her, her eyes filled with tears and a grateful look on her face as I smiled warmly at her.

        "No biggie."

---------------------   

      We sat there in a daze with what we heard from cyan. What? Why? Why was..

       "He shouldn't. I know he's mad that that guy shot me but he doesn't need to dirty his hand." Zephyr said and we silently watched the two.

        Rex inhaled deeply and sighed as he stepped closer to Cyan whose eyes were still burning with rage and the second ranker held his hand reassuringly before he whispered something to Cyan that we couldn't hear.

           But then, Cyan gave a defeated sigh as he looked down at the ground, his cyan hair covering his eyes, his lips formed in a thin line.