Chapter Two

12/23/16- just a little change up to this chapter, nothing major, just a little bit of sentence structure altered and more descriptions added at times I saw fit.

I can't even say that I don't have the best update schedule in the world, I don't have one to begin with. More is going to be on the way, however....

Song: Hoods Up- Heirsound
-
Dawn.

Sunlight flecks the horizon, it's only now that she's dared take a break.

She's landed near a lake, appearing human again, as if she can afford the luxury of truly being so.

A single black feather drifts atop the clear water.

Lynn's POV:

The walk from school is a relatively short, but extremely annoying one. It's short as it's only about a quarter of a mile, yet annoying as I seem to have to cross every main road in existence. There's a light drizzle starting as I exit through the double doors in front of my school.

Give or take a few minutes and the drizzle has picked up into a full downpour, and I'm using my forearm as a visor to see where I'm going properly through it all.

It's as I'm getting to the end of the street towards traffic lights on the busy, now headlight-ridden road, that I see her, and nearly run into her given my limited view- Alexa, the girl who had grabbed my attention before. She's just as stunning and a bit intimidating to look at, if you discount the fact that she's becoming drenched by the second. I hear her shiver slightly as she stands, arms wrapped around herself, and feel a twinge of sympathy.

Thinking carefully about how to carry this out, I kneel to the ground to take off my backpack, retrieving my hoodie from it.

Just as I'm doing this, the light turns red and white pedestrian signal lights up, the petite shivering form next to me starts to walk forward. "Wait!" I say, frantically, awkwardly getting up and displaying the hoodie as she turns to me questioningly. I internally cringe, I can only imagine how strange I look, brandishing something that could cover either of us but treating it like an invitation without explanation at the moment.

She raises an eyebrow. "Lynn, is it?" she asks, in a quiet voice.

"Y-yeah." I'm still holding out the hoodie like a dork, she's yet to take it.

"I can't accept that," she starts, "you need it as much as I do." Her eyes shine bright in the washed out, dull landscape, glimmers of confusion and possibly hope flickering through them, though, mostly confusion. Then they shift, two lanterns lit by childlike curiosity. I stare back at them, finding it hard to turn away. Instead, I eventually look down towards the grey sweatshirt I've been holding, before looking back up to her pointedly.

The simple gesture seems to speak more than words, as she sighs and takes it from me. "Thank you," she says, "but this is much too kind. We've barely even talked."

I think for a second. "Then it's about time we do, isn't it?" I can feel myself regretting my word choice, but at the same time not. I'm not sure how I'm being so bold, I guess it's just the circumstances- circumstances do things to people. Like, for a very specific, current instance, if I hadn't seen Alexa San Roman, possible small crush, looking like a sopping lost dog, I wouldn't be so forward, instead I'd be my timid self. I watch as she slips on my hoodie, pulling the hood up.

She holds the sleeves out to me, showing that they're much too lengthy for her, and I can't help but giggle a bit to myself. "Good enough, right?" She hasn't said anything about my previous comment, and taking notice of that makes me nervous. However, my nerves are resolved within a few seconds. "Hmm, you want to do you?"

I look back into those surreal eyes, nodding once, then another time for good measure. Then i internally slap myself for my awkward antics. She stares back, lips parting to speak. "I guess it could be interesting." Those same lips curve up into a smile, a strange glint in her eyes. She runs a hand through her damp and lanky hair. "Well," she eyes the light which has once again turned red, "we've well overstayed this corner's welcome. We'd best be going."

So the two of us continue walking, this time together, drenched and cold but in good company. I'm liking her more and more by the second, and I can tell that she seems interested in talking to me. At one point she stops to show me something that makes me laugh out loud, an old lady desperately trying to pull a broken umbrella up as she handles multiple bags of groceries. We're all struggling to find our way home or to our wanted destination out here, but the common anxieties of people frantically trying to avoid water from the sky is too much to take with a straight face.

It turns out Alexa lives two streets from me, and I'm a little sad to see her go. "Tomorrow?" I ask, stepping towards her as we stand near her house. She seems to be unsure of what I mean at first, then realizes.

"Definitely, here, have this back." She pulls my hoodie over her head, easier than I would've  thought for something that's so wet. We say our goodbyes, and I start walking once again, in a good mood from talking to someone like her, she's even better than I'd thought.

It's only when I'm crossing the doorstep of my house and out of the storm that I realize something.

The jacket in my hands is completely dry.

-
Rain, but in a different place, and definitely in a different time. She's traveling through a forest- she doesn't know which one, she's been through so many on her rush to hide herself far away she doesn't care anymore. She's also had to ditch her dress for a loose-fitting tunic and pants, she can't say she cares about that detail much either.

A branch cracks behind her. She turns, hands outstretched and at the ready. If only it weren't raining, she could have a fire in the palm of her hand, but she knows herself well enough to know that she prefers flames not inches from herself, despite her own being unharmful, and she wouldn't want the trees to suffer a cruel fate from it. Besides....fire doesn't bode too well with her anymore, not after what she's seen happen. Not after what's happened to....

A low growl rings through the woods. A wolf? Yes but, no...she feels a familiar aura here. It resonates through her. The calculated wavelengths of its magic, meaning they're like her.

The wolf steps closer towards, where she can see it through only a veil of rain, and it speaks without having to open its mouth through the pattering drops. "I don't know who you are, but it's best we not be close together. If they find two more of us-" it falters, and its silvery fur prickles up. It's sensed the difference in her, then. She can't say she's surprised. It rears up, startled and suddenly malicious.

"What are you? Get out! Have you disgraced our kind? I was going to ask you politely before, but now I see no need. Leave before I have to strain to come up with answers as to why you've done this, or kill you myself." The wolf, who- obviously and confusingly- is not a wolf at all but very human, snarls and leaps forward.

The woman is gone before it can even try to catch her.