Lord Éomer lifted one hand as if to touch my face, but did not carry through with the gesture. "I'm sorry! I should not have told you that."

I shook my head. "No. I'd rather know the truth."

Next to me, Dirhael leaned forward. "My lord, is this a common occurrence?"

"Only lately. They used to raid our herds for black horses, but only in small groups, easily defeated. But the last few months they have stepped up their attacks and are burning whatever they cannot take with them. This last pack numbered over a hundred of the foul beasts." His hands clenched on the reins. "We have taught them to fear the thunder of our hooves, but we cannot be everywhere."

"So what can you do?" I asked. The tale sounded so familiar. Only last June Sauron's forces had overrun Osgiliath, leaving Gondor's defences in disarray.

"I want to withdraw our people to the other side of the River Entwash, leaving only guards and fast scouts in the Emnet. Although this does not please everybody."

"Why not?" Dirhael asked. "It seems a sensible thing to do."

Lord Éomer shrugged evasively. "I cannot say." He nodded at me. "My lady, will you now tell me what brings you to the Riddermark?"

"My father has arranged for me to stay in Edoras for a while," I answered. "With the storm brewing in Mordor he thought it safer than either Dol Amroth or Minas Tirith." A belief I could not quite share anymore after what I'd seen and heard.

The Marshal looked troubled. "Until recently I would have agreed with him. But now we seem to have strife threatening on every border."

"What do you mean?"

"The wizard Saruman." He said nothing more for a moment and if sensing his rider's dark thoughts the stallion shook his mane. "You know that he dwells in Isengard?"

Remembering that fact from my reading about Rohan, I nodded.

"We had always considered him a friend of the Mark," Lord Éomer explained. "But less than a month ago Gandalf the Grey came to Edoras, begging our help and warning us to prepare for war. Since then tidings have reached us that Saruman is stirring trouble amongst the Dunlendings in the West who still resent our settling here."

I exchanged a look with Dirhael. Sent to safety! "Does Lord Denethor know of this?" I asked.

"I have no idea. Théoden King would not listen to Gandalf and told him to take a horse and be gone." He gave a mirthless laugh. "The wizard took Shadowfax, the chief of our horses, and now the very mention of his name provokes the king to anger."

Troubling news. I had been reluctant to leave my home and my family at a time like this, but had submitted to my father's wishes. Now it looked as if I might have done better braving the dangers of corsair raids.

The Marshal seemed to read my thoughts. "My lady, please do not disquiet yourself. Edoras is the heart of the Mark, and I promise we will keep you safe there."

He spoke the words in a low, steady voice and for some reason my mood lightened. A promise from a man who would do his utmost to keep his word – and his utmost would be very good indeed. "Thank you."

Lord Éomer inclined his head and spurred his horse forward again. When I looked over at Dirhael I caught him watching me thoughtfully. "What is it?" I asked.

"Nothing... just that the Marshal is a dangerous man."

I frowned. "A great warrior you mean."

"No, that's not what I meant." He hesitated. "Lothíriel, you are the Princess of Dol Amroth and as such your fate will be shaped by forces beyond your control."