Sunset Watching

Just like clockwork, Leni's car arrived on the driveway the moment Risa stepped outside the entrance.

"Hi, Mahal." Leni said, pecking Risa on the lips.

Ecstatic to tell Leni about her day, Risa bounced on her seat. "Pangga, alam mo, ang saya saya ko today."

She animatedly narrated all the things that happened during the day, including the milkshake date and the support she got during a privilege speech she made.

But Leni seemed distracted that time. All she got were slight nods and 'mmmhmms', as opposed to the undivided attention she expected from her.

Come to think of it, Leni hasn't been herself for the past couple of weeks. At first Risa simply thought she was busy and shrugged it off. But then Leni became more and more distant by the day, to the point where Risa almost had to beg to get her attention.

"Uhh, Pangga? Okay ka lang? You seem distracted today."

No response.

She cracked a few jokes to lighten Leni's mood, but it was like talking to a brick wall.

Just then, Leni smiled as she observed the sun setting to make room for the moon. "Ang ganda ng sunset ngayon. Reminded me of the times that Jesse and I look at the stars from out balcony at night.

"Jesse and I. Me and Jesse." Risa thought. "I was right. Saling-pusa lang talaga ako. Rebound. Panakip-butas."

"Huh? Ano sabi mo, Mahal."

Risa shook her head. "Wala."

She twiddled with her smartphone in an attempt to distract herself from the thoughts brewing in her head and saw the last post Leni made on Facebook - a photo of Leni and Jesse together during one of their travels outside the country with the caption "Miss you more than ever 😞💛"

Risa bouncy demeanor deflated and her heart sank to the pits. She expected this to happen at some point, but Leni usually snapped out of it rather quickly. 

But the moments of longing for Jesse, combined with her increasing distance, became longer and more frequent for Risa to simply ignore. "Jesse, Jesse, Jesse. Si Jesse na lang palagi. Di ba sapat ang pagmamahal ko sa kanya? O ako ba ung sobra-sobra kung magmahal?"