Chapter 26: Part 3

Start from the beginning

"Your bear is the center of the feast." He seemed amused by the thought and I frowned darkly.

"Its not my bear." The kill was Lace's and I didn't want anyone thinking otherwise. She was a truly remarkable shifter and I wanted each and every pack member to learn that she took on a bear to save their Alpha. I wanted her story to become a legend on the mountain, the underestimated Queen that took down a giant for their reigning King.

"Oh I know that. Teeth marks are too small. That vicious little mate of yours decided she liked the taste of bear. Apparently the only one allowed to take a round out of you is her." He gave a wheezing laugh at the words and I felt my mouth twitch up slightly at the accuracy of his statement. My expression soon turned to a grimace as I stood up. I reached out and pressed my hand against the wall to give me something to focus on so that my legs wouldn't give out from underneath me. "Everything moving alright, boy?" His voice was gruff and as soon as I felt comfortable I took several shuffling steps. Despite the aches and the pain my joints and muscles were moving the way they should.

"So far so good." I took a few more shuffling steps, trying to stretch out the sore and stiff muscles. That had been a heavy healing session. I had been in rough shape a few times before but that was different. This was worse. I hated that I had been distracted and hadn't noticed the bear. If I had noticed him sooner I wouldn't have gotten into the situation. He had caught me by surprise and I paid the price. It was a juvenile move to not pay attention.

"You should be able to leave soon. Actually had to transfuse you a few times. Natasha isn't as good as she thinks she is at blood regeneration. I was too busy making sure you wouldn't bleed to death to take over." Plato gave a small groan as he sat down on the foot of the cot. There was a reason we had the infirmary, it helped where the healers couldn't. They were incredibly gifted people but even they had limits, like their inability to actually help children to a full extent. They couldn't heal them fully if they were seriously hurt, could keep them alive but without a wolf the healers couldn't accelerate their healing.

"Its alright." I knew Plato was just grumbling because he could. He was entitled to be a cranky old man at his age. I winced as I tried to take larger steps, limping as the muscles in my hip and leg screamed in protest. There was a knock on the door before it was shoved open. My mother stood in it, her dark hair frazzled. She gave a small cry and ran towards me.

"My boy!" She wrapped her arms around me, holding me tightly. "You stupid, stupid boy. I am so happy you are okay!" She pulled back and grabbed my face, looking me over as if to make sure I was truly okay.

"I am fine. Sore but fine." I winced as she shoved at my chest, making me step backwards.

"What on earth were you thinking? Taking on a bear!" Worry was etched into her face and I understood how she felt. She had lost too many children to not be upset at me at what she viewed as an unnecessary and dangerous action. I didn't blame her, no one was supposed to take on a large predator alone.

"It caught me by surprise." I rolled my shoulders, grimacing at the muscles that pulled unpleasantly. The achy and sore feeling would linger until the muscles were stretched out and used.

"You should have run!" She grabbed my arm, looking over my skin as if trying to see any marks that had lingered. I ran my hand through my hair, the movement was awkward and stiff with my shoulder muscles aching unpleasantly.

"It damaged my hind leg on its first hit, there was no running. I didn't truly have a chance." It was the truth. If I had noticed it before its first hit I could have gotten away safely to wait for back up to actually take it down.

"You are so lucky." She patted my cheek gently, reaching up to brush my hair from my eyes.

"Yes, lucky that his mate of his is one tough son of a bitch. I have never seen such ferocity. She tore out that bear's throat, piece by piece." Plato gave another wheezing chuckle and my mother's face pinched slightly. I gave her a warning look. "A truly good replacement for you, don't you think, Gabriella?" My mother said nothing, her expression pinching a bit more. I knew there was a bit of animosity between them after Lace nearly took my mother's throat. She truly didn't like being shown up or being shown that her decisions weren't the ones that were needed.