Chapter 11: Part 3

"You need to have a bath." I pulled my hand away, continuing to cut the apple slices as Lander returned and pulled out the oatmeal and cinnamon like I asked him to. I set the knife in the sink and grabbed the oatmeal, pouring a decent amount into the pot before adding the right amount of water. As soon as it was on the wood stove, I sprinkled in a fair amount of cinnamon and added the apple cubes. Caden followed me, his hand firmly grasping my pocket. Eli chattered from his position on the counter and as soon as everything was simmering I moved over and lifted him off the counter.

"Ewi s'ay up." His bottom lip stuck out in a pout as he reached for his previous spot.

"Eli needs to get down before he falls. Go play." I set him on the floor and gently pushed him away before attempting to do the same to Caden.

"No, I wanna stay." His voice was wavering and forlorn as he held onto me tightly. I gave a small sigh as I crouched down and looked into his eyes.

"I do not need you to cling to me, child." I tried to remove his hand from my pockets and I was sucessful until his grubby fingers latched onto my shirt.

"If I le' go you leave! I don' want you to!" His voice was nearly hysterical as he held onto my shirt tightly. "Stay!" I gave a small huff of irritation as he clung to me, his small blunt nails scratching my skin as he attempted to hold onto me. It was a sharp pain but it faded quickly.

"Your hysterics are not needed or wanted right now." I stayed still as sobs wracked his small frame as he managed to press himself close to me, his face pressed against my collarbone. His tears made my skin sticky and I closed my eyes as he tried to seek the comfort he clearly needed. My wolf whined as he continued his crying. It was her nature to comfort the future generation, he was a pup and he needed comfort for his tears.

I lifted my hand hesitantly and ran it through his hair. He gave a shuddering breath as I put a bit more pressure to my touch before I wrapped my other arm around him and lifted him up. His legs wrapped around me as I moved over to the couch and sat down. He clung to me tightly and Eli and Graham moved towards me on the couch. I ignored them as I simply held Caden, giving him the comfort his mother had denied him. There was no need for what she was doing, dying or not.

I didn't pat his head, I didn't shush him or tell him it would be alright. I simply held him, breathing evenly, my hand in his hair as he cried into my neck. The poor boy's shoulders should not have held the burden his mother had placed on them. Eli leaned against my arm, his expression forlorn as if sensing his brother's tremulous emotional state.

"The oatmeal is boiling." Lander moved closer to the couch and Caden grabbed onto me tighter, whimpering. I smoothed down his hair, attempting to calm him down but not entirely certain how to do it.

"Stir it for me." I nodded at him as Graham moved closer to me, leaning his head on me like Eli was. I didn't like the feeling of being crowded and my wolf was feeling a bit overwhelmed but she was attempting to get me to comfort them all. She wanted too, I could feel her want despite the fact she was severely overwhelmed by the children.

Caden's soft sobbing had dissipated but his breaths were still shuddering, they shook his small frame as he clung to me. It was not my responsibility to provide comfort for Bella's children yet I was stuck doing it anyway. The woman stayed in her bed, only truly interacting with Lander. I had seen her tell Caden, Graham and even Eli to leave her room in harsh tones. There was no reason for the woman to act as she was, she was a disgrace as a parent and as a decent human being. It should have been her providing her son with comfort, not me.

The scent of apple cinnamon oatmeal slowly filled the air and I continued to hold Caden as he calmed down from his grief driven meltdown. His breathing was starting to even out and my hand went from his head to the back of his neck as I stood up. He gave a small whimper as I carried him over to the solid wood table and set him down on a chair. He clung to me and I gave a low growl of frustration.