four

"hello?"

"hey, baby."

i closed my eyes. his voice was raspy. he'd probably just woken up. that always used to make my heart turn to putty and my cheeks flush. now all i felt was empty and lonely when he spoke to me.

i tried to make the tone in my voice seem happier. "hey," i chirped. "what's up?"

"i'm just getting home from work. i wanted to see how my girl was doing." i could feel him smile on the other end of the line.

"oh, tom, that's sweet but i have an interview and i really need to go.." i trailed.

tom paused before asking. "the interview with jared?"

i could feel the temperature in my body rise. tom never liked jared. this was a fact. every time i mentioned his name his posture would become tense and his jaw locked. i'm not sure exactly what it was that jared did to make tom so bothered, but it was becoming a bit of an issue in our relationship.

when tom and i met, he new i was an actress. and we discussed the underlying issues that came with my career. i would have to kiss other actors, portray wives, girlfriends, romantic interests. it never bothered him before but with jared it always seemed to.

and it was getting quite old.

"yes," i breathed. "the interview with jared. look, i don't know why you let it bother you so-"

"forget it. i'll talk to you later."

the phone line went dead before i could get a word in.

i rolled my eyes and went back into the lounge. this time jared was gone and my heart dropped. i slumped myself on the couch and sighed. we were supposed to be on in ten minutes and my head wouldn't stop spinning.

"hello, and welcome to the chelsea sommers show!"

chelsea and i had had a couple of interviews before but never with a cast member. for some reason, she took a particular interest in jared and i.

"tonight, we have two very special guests with us tonight..." her chirpy voice trailed off and i closed my eyes.

"you alright, doll?" his voice was sultry and thick as honey. a voice that was so easy to become distracted by.

i turned to him, avoiding eye contact. "yeah," i smiled. "just a litter nervous for this interview. chelsea is quite notorious for putting her guests on the hot spot."

he pulled my chin up so that we were staring into each other eyes. i didn't resist, as much as i wanted to. i couldn't help but look into those baby blues. "you'll be fine. i'm here with you." a slight smile spread across his smooth skin.

he held my hand as chelsea called our names.  we walked out on stage and it felt as though my chest was sinking into my body.

this interview was the biggest one on the press tour.

we smiled, still holding hands, and waved to the audience.

my heart picked up it's speed as i tightened my sweaty grip on jared's hand.

this wasn't my first interview, i've had hundreds of them. but there was something about this interview that made me fear for my relationship with both jared and tom.

he leaned in and whispered, "focus on me."

i closed my eyes, taking in the musky scent of his cologne.

i can do this.