Chapter 21

21 

Cade looked up from reassembling the carburetor lying on the tarp between his legs. Why had Haven picked this moment to come aboard and drive him crazy?  

"She really wants to go to the zoo, Daddy. She's like nuts about it." The late morning sun behind her hair made it glow a ruddy gold.  

"Who are you?" he said. "Her spokesperson or something?" 

"She's really shy. She doesn't even know I'm asking you." 

Streaks of kerosene and grease coated his hands. "I've got a lot of important stuff on my mind right now, hon." With a Phillips screwdriver he wound the last screw tight. "What about your aunt?" 

"Already asked her. Says she isn't feeling well. Besides, you know how she hates to drive, especially to Tallahassee." 

"Jimi?" 

"Guess." 

"He's concerned about Lana." 

She nodded. "He told her he'd be around if she needed anything." 

Cade looked down the length of the wooden dock and up the steep hill to Cool Bay Inn. "Where is she now?" 

"Lying in bed upstairs. I think she's asleep." 

"I meant Gen, where's Gen?" 

"She's getting ready to hitchhike. She was looking at a roadmap when I came down here." 

"Dammit!" He tossed down a kerosene-soaked cleaning rag and it slapped the deck with a wet smack. "What's with her, anyway? She's too bashful to ask me to take her, but she's not too bashful to hitchhike?" He rubbed his nose with his forearm. "This is just not a good day to go. I've really got a lot on my mind. I'm in a bad mood." 

"No kidding." 

"Tell her I'll take you both this weekend. Maybe Lana will be feeling better. We can all go." 

"She's going to go today by herself if we don't take her. I can see it in her eyes. She's all fired up about it. She'll hitchhike, do something crazy." 

"What's up with her? She's driving me crazy." 

Haven shrugged. "She's a big fan of zoos?" 

"She's a spoiled brat, is what she is. Where the hell did she come from? Who are her parents? They must've let her get away with this shit, given her everything she ever wanted. Why won't she tell us anything about herself?" 

"Aunt Lana said please don't curse in front of me." 

He twisted his mouth. "She's right. Sorry." 

"So, will you take us?" 

"Scratch my nose, you little bug." 

Haven giggled and scratched the bridge of his nose where a bead of sweat itched. He stared at the carburetor. He still needed time to think. And he wanted to avoid Lana's deep gaze that read him like a book. Maybe he could work out the dilemma while driving, instead of fixing engine parts that ain't broke. 

He frowned and breathed out a big sigh. "Okay, all right. Give me a minute to stow this gear and get cleaned up." He held up oily hands. "Think she'll give me long enough to take a quick shower? Or should I drive us there like this?"  

Haven laughed. "Thanks, Daddy. I'll go tell her." She turned and ran along the wooden planks of the dock. 

"Slow down!" 

She didn't. She started up the long hill, muscular brown legs still pumping. Cade grinned. God, she was a beautiful girl. 

He cupped his hands around his mouth and called after her, "We'll go in the Land Rover." 

Great. Now he had motor oil smeared on his face.