XVI - The Earth Wanderers - Part II

Start from the beginning

“Who are you? You talk like you understand her since her birth.”

“You’ve been getting forgetful. I’ve answered this question minutes ago.”

Vadiraj swallowed his rage. This ghost seemed knowledgeable. He wouldn’t hurt him yet, not until he had squeezed every detail about Elli out of his mouth. He found it awkward though, standing in a library with a ghost he didn't know, listening to his counsel. He wasn't like that. If he wanted to kill, he'd summon his staff and go for it directly. He had gotten weak in mind lately. He never hesitated but he craved for Elli so much. This ghost could help him. Sighing, he said, “Continue your theory.”

“I can feel that her defensive wall towards you is thinning. It’s strange, about people’s feeling. Though you are the killer of her father, there’s this attraction of interest that can’t be denied. She may not realise it, but it won’t take long. I believe this is what we call fate.”

“I want to see her but she's never alone.”

“There’s one thing called Wander-Soul when one is sleeping. I am sure you have a dab hand in this knowledge. I’ve spoken enough. Now it’s your turn to woo the girl of your heart.”

Vadiraj frowned. “You are the stalker that gave her the wrist tattoo, and the one who brought them to see the Earth Wanderers. Why do you help them and help me concurrently? What motives do you have?”

“There you come again. You should buy some tonic to nourish your forgetful mind. I told you, I love helping people. It’s a pleasure talking to you tonight. Now, the last tips. If I were you, I’ll get rid of that romance book and read this.” The ghost snapped his fingers and another thick book floated in the air.

It was actually thicker, of thousands of pages. It was called Sun Tzu, The Art of War. Vadiraj frowned again. The man had a weird name. He had never heard of this name, but he grabbed that book.

“This comes from the human world. Sun Tzu was a Chinese military general, strategist, and philosopher. He stayed in a great empire called China when he was alive. Keep this book well. It’ll help you in the future.” The ghost nodded, indicating his farewell, and dissolved into thin air.  

Vadiraj stared at the darkness for minutes before descending into the Underworld. He locked the book in the drawer where he kept his drawing pad. After freshening himself, he adorned his body with only grey pants and went to bed. He needed to catch up with Elli’s soul, when she was also asleep.

He saw Elli walking into a grand ballroom. She was cladded in a water-blue gown. Vadiraj snapped his fingers and his pyjamas transformed into a set of black tuxedo. He followed her but kept a comfortable distance. A doorkeeper approached him and handed over to him a mask knitted by the feathers of a peacock. Vadiraj didn’t know what to do with this accessory but he accepted it.

The hall was filled with contemporary jazz, and the patrons had started dancing. They had all hidden their faces behind the colourful masks. Vadiraj put it on, too. A plump woman approached him and took his hands. He didn’t know what to do; he had never attended a dancing ball before, especially the one with a mask on. He didn’t push the woman away. He needed information.

“What’s this dancing ball for? Why does everyone wear a mask?” asked Vadiraj.

The woman chuckled. Her orange mask slanted as she laughed ungracefully. “Oh, is this your first time? How cute. This is called the masquerade. You won’t be able to see the face of the wearer behind the mask. If you’ve fallen in love with that person because of his or her characteristics instead of the look, you’ll become a lovely couple, everlastingly. Isn’t it cute? What do you think of me?”

“You need to buy some tonic to help you lose your fats.” Vadiraj tossed her away and looked for Elli. She was dancing with a dark-skin man who was a head shorter than her.

The man flung her hands and Vadiraj grabbed hers. Elli gasped at the sudden change of partner but she smiled a graceful smile. Like a swan, Vadiraj reminded himself. She had a red mask on, revealing only her nose and her lips. Her bosoms heaved up and down as she danced with him.

“What’s your name, sire?” Elli asked.

Vadiraj caressed the scar on her cheek with the back of his hand. Leaning close to her ear, he said, “Close your eyes. Who is the man that first comes across your mind?”

Elli opened her eyes in shock. She saw the familiar amber eyes from behind the mask, and the curve of the full lips. “No, that can’t be,” she whispered, and her soul thinned into the air.