5. The Chance of a Lifetime

            During the time Bilbo was unconscious, I ambled into his kitchen to make him some tea—if the Dwarves didn’t think to drink all of that. Thankfully, there was some, so I made him a cup.

            “When did you get here?” a voice asked.

            I wasn’t startled by the voice. It belonged to one of the Dwarves, though which one, I wasn’t sure.

            “When you all were singing and nearly giving Bilbo a heart attack by throwing his dishes around the house,” I stated simply. I whirled around to notice the Dwarf was not alone. They were the two who moved Bilbo into the chair he was now slumped in. “By the way, I never got your names.”

            “I’m Kili,” said the dark-haired one. “And this is my brother, Fili.”

            “Well, I suppose I don’t need an introduction since Gandalf did that earlier when Thorin came. Thank you, by the way, for moving Bilbo into the next room. I still feel intimidating him like that was awful.”

            “That’s how Bofur is sometimes,” Fili said, shrugging. “You realize he meant nothing by it, right?”

            “Oh, I know he didn’t. He just thought it’d be funny, telling Bilbo such things like that to frighten him. The nerve.” My tone was bitter.

            “Are you married to Mr. Baggins?”

            “What?” I laughed. “No, I’m not. Did the ring make you believe it?” I glared at my wedding band. “No, we’re not together. I’ve just known him for a long time, that’s all.” My fingers tapped the side of the mug I held in my hand. “Well, I should go check on him. It was nice meeting you both.”

            Fili and Kili made a path for me so I wouldn’t have to wiggle through them. The Dwarves seemed to spread throughout the house.

            I found the room where Fili and Kili moved Bilbo into. I saw movement, so he must’ve just woken up.

            “You’re finally up, sleepyhead?” I teased him as I sat down in the chair opposite him. The fire was going. “You still look a little out of it.”

            “I feel it. You made tea?”

            “Yes, but it’s not for me.” I handed it to him.

            “Thank you.”

            “So…”

            “What?” Bilbo took a sip of the tea.

            “Do you plan on going with them?”

            “Lily—”

            “Bilbo, what walked into your house tonight is the chance of a lifetime! Here’s your chance to go on an actual adventure!”

            “I’m not going,” he said plainly.

            “And why not?” I crossed my arms over my chest.

            “I’m a Baggins of Bag End, there is nothing more to say.”

            “You’re also a Hobbit who craved adventure in his younger years,” I retorted. Bilbo glared at me with hard, brown eyes. “Don’t give me that look. I know he’s still in there somewhere, probably dying to burst out and take it head on.”