[16] Chapter Sixteen

Start from the beginning

“Seth?”

“What?” He replied, his voice quiet.

“Can I talk to you for a few minutes?”

He paused for a moment, this sudden urge to laugh came over him, but he pushed it down, “You’re already in here.”

Leah actually did laugh then. “Right, I kind of forgot for a second.”

Seth wiped his face in embarrassment. He was a guy, guys don’t cry. Especially while their sister was sitting in front of them. “What do you want anyway?”

Leah let out a breath, moving to sit on the edge of the bed. “Seth, you know I love you, right?” He nodded, slightly lost as to where she was going with this. “Well, it’s hard for me to see you in this much pain. I’ve been through this, and I know how shitty and crappy it feels, but you have to do something besides sitting in your room and wallowing over what you could have done to make it different.”

With his head hung low, Seth replied, “I could’ve protected her more, covered her tracks, done something to keep her with me.”

“Having an imprint does that to you. Makes you feel like it’s all your fault, you could’ve prevented it in so many ways, blah blah blah so on and so forth.  But, don’t you see?”

Seth didn’t reply, just shifted in his spot so he was sitting cross-legged in front of his sister.

“Would that- I mean, wouldn’t Mirabelle want you to do something? I mean, I know they took her away, but what if she’s waiting for you? Maybe she wants you to come save her?” Seth raised his head a bit; just enough so Leah could see his eyes and the hope that brought them back to life. “Don’t you see?  She can probably feel how miserable you are. “

Leah pushed Seth a little so she could stand up. Seth rose his head up completely so he could see her eyes. They were filled with something, urgency? Care? Something was…different.

“So for a run, clear you’re head. Just let the earth and wind help you calm down and think for a while.”

He nodded, getting up and grabbing some clothes and rope from his dresser. Leah smirked, that’s it. Just what he needed. She walked out, her smile still alight on her lips. Mrs. Clearwater was sitting at the counter, her head in her arms. When Leah came out, she straightened up and watched as she ran up to her room without a sound.

A few minutes later, Seth’s door opened and Seth came out, a bundle of…clothes in his hands? For a second Mrs. Clearwater began to panic. Oh no, she told him to leave, she told him to run away didn’t she. Tears sprang in her eyes and she got up from her seat. Seth smiled up at his mother.

“I’m going out for a run, maybe hang out with the guys for a while. Don’t know when I’ll be back, but I have my phone is you need me. He flashed his teeth before running out to the huge maple tree in the yard. Mrs. Clearwater collapsed in her chair, stunned. He, he smiled? And he’s going out? She smiled and thought, Leah. Thank you.

----------------------------------------------------------

Seth dropped his bundle by the tree and began to strip down when his phone vibrated in his pocket. He pulled it out, opening the new text. It was from Leah.

Don’t tell mom ANYTHING about what happened in there, or I’ll murder you myself

He grinned, shaking his head. What a sister.

A loud, explosive ripping sound echoed through the woods as Seth shifted to wolf form. He quickly sent out a call to see if anyone was around. No replies, so he assumed he was alone. Good, he thought. I can think better when it’s just me in my head, no other open links.

After ten minutes of trying to clear his head, another set of thoughts entered his head.

‘Hey man!’ Embry called, a few miles away from him.

‘Hi.’ Seth sent back, stifling a sigh. So much for being alone.

‘I have a feeling you don’t want me around.’

‘No, it’s not that. I just… I was just trying to clear my head.’

Embry’s mind went blank for a moment, leaving Seth thinking he had gone out of range. Then, not after long, Embry’s voice came back, quieter this time.

‘It’s Mirabelle, right?’

Seth didn’t answer; he just sat down and sighed.

‘I was right.’

Silence.

‘Want to talk?”

Actually, Seth felt like he actually wanted to confide in Embry, of all people. So that’s exactly what he did, revealing every emotion and thought that had gone through his mind within the last week. Embry was dead silent until Seth stopped to take a breath.  

‘Wow man, that’s really rough. Maybe, if there was a way,  you could just talk to her. For a couple of minutes every now and then even. Something that would ease up the pain a little.’

Seth was shocked. He had a point.

‘But, how exactly am I supposed to do that?’

‘Well, we’d have to figure out an address, so we’d have to talk to Sam. Maybe if they have internet, you could send emails, maybe call…’

‘Em, you’re a genius! Man, I love you so much right now!’

“Wow there dude, I hate to break it to you but I’m not like that.’

If Embry had been there, he’d’ve smacked him into next week.  ‘Whatever, let’s get together and try to make a plan to get this thing rolling.’

‘Alright, I gotta go, but keep in touch, we’ll figure this out. You can trust me bro.’ with that, Embry’s connection broke and Seth was alone once more.

The excitement was too great for Seth to keep it to himself. He ran back home and fell behind the maple tree to change. As he pulled his shirt on, a thought occurred to him. If Mirabelle can feel my emotions, maybe I can feel hers. Seth closed his eyes and concentrated, thinking of Mirabelle. For a second it felt like nothing was happening and was about to give up when his mind hit a wall of emotions.

There was a sense of fear, sadness, but there was also a tad bit of happiness. Great, Seth thought, she must’ve found a friend to confide and trust. But there was something else too. He focused in on it and sucked in a breath when he figured it out. Loneliness.

Seth fell to his knees, the tears beginning to return. No, he thought, I need to stay strong, I need to help Mirabelle.

He got up and ran into the house, breathless. His mother looked up, confusion running across her features. “Seth? What…”

“While I was out, Embry and I had a talk and he gave me this awesome idea and I think it’ll really work! I just need to figure out the address of the place, so I’ll have to find Sam,”

“Seth!” Mrs. Clearwater called as Seth’s volume lowered to where he was just muttering to himself. “Honey, what’s wrong?”

“I think I figured out a way to contact Mirabelle.”

_________________________________________

Wow, yeah I know. This chapter was a piece of crap filler, but I needed to get something up. It was now or never.  Hope you enjoyed it!  ~AliBlueBunny