Chapter 8: The One With The House Call

Start from the beginning

"Everything looks delicious," I say, starring at the food in front of me.

"I made you strawberry stuffed french toast with a cream cheese syrup glaze, vanilla yogurt, a cut up banana, and a glass of milk," he informs me, sitting next to me on the edge of the bed.

"Why do I smell bacon?"

"I made myself some bacon and eggs."

"Ew," I say, sticking out my tongue and making a face. The last time Peeta made bacon and eggs, which was a few days ago, I couldn't handle the smell and I threw up. Just the thought of them and the hint of the bacon aroma still in the air is making me nauseous.

"I'm sorry," he apologizes. "I made myself breakfast awhile ago, hoping the smell would disperse before you woke up."

"It's ok, it's not your fault," I reach over and place my hand on his cheek, stroking it with my thumb. "Thank you for breakfast."

"I love you," He grins and lightly kisses my lips again.

"I love you more."

"Not possible," he beams. "I'm going to go clean the kitchen. Enjoy your breakfast and I'll come get your tray when you're done."

"How did I get so lucky?"

"I ask myself the same question everyday."

And with that I'm left to eat my meal alone.

...

*Ding Dong*

"Peeta," I yell. "Doorbell!"

"I heard," he shouts from the bathroom connected to our room.

Seconds later, the door flies open and Peeta storms out of the bathroom and rushes downstairs. His footsteps are louder than usual as his legs carry him as fast as they allow him to go.

I hear a few mumbled greetings and the front door close.

"She's upstairs," I catch him say before hearing them ascend up the stairs. "It's the door at the end of the hall, right across from the top of the stairs.

It isn't long before Dr. Roman enters the room with Peeta following in tow.

"Good afternoon, Katniss," she greets. "How are you feeling?"

"Uncomfortable," I complain. "Tired."

"Already?" Dr. Roman asks, a little surprised.

I nod, "My belly feels really heavy."

"You're a skinny girl, so I guess that shouldn't surprise me," she cracks a small smile. "And I'm guessing that's what's making you tired. Still can't get comfortable enough to sleep?"

"Yeah," I frown.

"Can I interest you in a cup of tea?" Peeta inquires Dr. Roman.

"Oh, you don't have to go through all that trouble," she says.

"It's no problem," Peeta insists. "I was going to make myself some anyway."

"Well in that case I'll take one."

"Sugar?"

"I'll have two lumps. Thank you."

"Katniss?" Peeta asks.

"Maybe later," I decline.

Peeta nods and exits the room, leaving Dr. Roman and I to our exam.

"So you're 14 weeks today," Dr. Roman smiles. "That means that baby Mellark is the size of your clenched fist, their hair is growing, and since the last time I've seen you their vocal cords, intestines, and the roof of their mouth have fully developed."