Chapter 6

Everything was blur to Mara and the whole family the second they arrived at the hospital. Mara was immediately admitted. Shawn's friend, the oncologist had already gotten a team of doctors together to discuss Mara's treatment plan. Mara didn't talk at all the entire time everything was going on. They took a lot or more blood and did some other tests. One being a bone marrow draw. Everyone but Jessica and Peter were kicked out of the room during this. The brothers were all just outside waiting, as they heard Mara scream and yell in pain.

"I can't listen to that" said Charlie.

"Please tell me they are never going to have to do this again" said Jack.

Shawn didn't respond, but just gave him a look.

"That is a yes, isn't it?"

Shawn nodded.

"Everyone just shut up" said Ben getting up and storming away. 

"Ben needs to keep it together" said Jack.

Ethan got up and ran after him.

"Ben wait" he said catching up to him.

Ben didn't stop. Ethan grabbed his shoulder.

"What!" he yelled as he turned around. Tears were streaming down his face.

"I know okay, I know we are all scared Ben, but we have to keep it together for Mara, because she is more scared than of all us put together.  If she sees you crying, it will only make things worse. She needs us right now, more than ever. Needs us to be strong for her." 

Ben nodded in agreement then Ethan pulled Ben in for a hug. 

Back at Mara's room. She had fallen asleep. Everyone was in the room. Jessica was stroking her hair as she slept. Ben and Ethan walked back in. Ben took a deep breathe as he knew he had to keep it together like Ethan said. Just then Dr. Carter walked in. 

"I can I speak with you two, Mr. and Mrs. Martin?"

They both stepped out. Shawn was already with him.

"I've been on conference call all night with many different doctors. We are still planning and will continue to plan as things continue on. We will be doing 6 rounds of chemotherapy. They will be 1 week every other day then a week off then another. We will be keeping at least that, but there is always the possibility that we will need to increase that. We will also be doing blood transfusions twice a week along with weekly bone marrow transfusions. All in all we are going to have measures in place to keep her comfortable and without pain as much as possible."

They were all just standing there. But then Peter spoke up.

"What are her chances?"

"It is at a fairly progressed stage and everyone is different. But about 40%" 

Jessica burst into tears. As Peter comforted her. Shawn felt his stomach sink. Like the whole world just started to be in slow motion. Meanwhile the boys watched from inside the room. When they saw their mother break down. They knew something was wrong. Ben was sitting there stroking Mara's hair and wasn't watching.

"Oh God" said Ethan.

"What?" asked Ben looking up. 

Just then Peter walked in with Shawn. They explained it all to them.

"40%, 40%, 40%, 40%" was all that kept going through Ben's mind. Meanwhile Mara just slept away. Not knowing what  was about to happen to her. Her whole world was about to change.