Original Edition - Chapter 58: The Council Meeting Part III

Start from the beginning

"What hunt? There's a hunt?"

Evan looked back at me with a smile tugging at his lips and nodded. Lander rubbed his hands together like a little kid ready to devour all the candy in a candy store. "Only good thing about these damn meetings."

I looked at Levi who rolled his eyes before he looked back at me. "Every year during the council meeting there is a hunt at the end, usually at the end of the party. It's like a sign of good faith that everyone can hunt together, share a kill, get along, that kind of mushy shit."

"And it is a competition," Lander added. I snapped my eyes to him as my wolf perked up some more. She licked her lips as he talked about two her favorite things; hunting and competitions. "Well, like we said at the end of the party. Competition is simple, first pack to get the first kill gets bragging rights for a whole year and the loser has to host the next year's meeting."

"So whose running it? It's after the party? Also, you have to hunt with your pack?" I groaned a little. I was not a fan of hunting next to Miranda or Thomas. I may very well hunt them.

"Well, girly first off your boy there Evan and his guys are running it, well more like scouting the game ahead of us," Lander answered.

I snapped my head to Evan who smiled deviously. "Yup, Ryder and I will go out and make sure we've got eyes on them. I think Remi is going to come with us too. I have a couple other guys that I'll have staked out around the area as well."

Levi nodded a bit while Lander flickered his eyes back to me. "Anyways, there's not a 'gunshot' start or anything, usually as the party dies down we all try to sneak away. Really it's once you see someone running then you gotta get your ass in gear and go."

I smiled a little more while Claire let out a rumble of approval. "And before Levi left, we always won."

"Really?" I looked to Levi whose lips were twitching into a nostalgic smile.

"Yup girly," he said as he flickered his silver eyes to me. "Bout time we pick up that tradition again, and to answer your other question, you're with us girly. Still a Thorne and Thorne's hunt together."

I felt a big smile tug on my lips while Claire chuckled as she kissed my hair. "So what are we hunting?"

"Buffalo this year," Evan said as he sucked in an excited breath.

My beast rumbled in approval which made Claire laugh a little more. Levi looked up at me a tiredly. "Alright, let's get to bed. It's going to be a long ass day."

"Where's Elliot?" I asked as I slid off the barstool.

"Setting up the sound system for tomorrow. He's the DJ for the party," Derek answered while picking the ice cream bowls off the table.

I raised my brows while Evan nodded approvingly. "Bears and music? Anything else he can do?"

"Plenty," Derek answered as he wiggled his brows which made Evan groan.

I chuckled then kissed Claire and Lander goodnight while Derek made up the couches for Ethan and Evan. I sighed and looked at the couch that was empty, as Evan took the bigger one for himself since Ethan wasn't back. He sat up and gave me a reassuring smile. "He'll be back little sister."

"I know," I sighed out.

Levi walked to me and kissed my crown before looking back at the empty couch. "Get some sleep girly."

I nodded then headed to my room. My bearskin blanket was warm and gave me some comfort over the pains of the pull. The pull that throbbed dully in my chest. There was so much going on, so much screwed up shit, that laying in Ethan's arms is all I really wanted; but I knew I needed to wait. We needed to wait.