The Tinkerer's Treasure

Magsimula sa umpisa

Of course, she was worried at first, since she hadn't heard back from the business before her graduation, for she had sent in her application a few months before the ceremony. Over the summer and early fall months, she had to work in a cubicle and fill out paper work all day. Thus, it was quite the day when the business, she wanted to work at, contacted her. Immediately, she went in for the interview and was overjoyed to find that she attained the job.

Her boots clicked against the pavement, as she took another bite of the pastry. Occasionally, another individual would pass her by, their image being reflected by the water on the sidewalk. Leaves of red, orange and yellow would crunch sometimes under someone's step. This particular sound would fall into pattern with the snap of her biting off another piece of pop-tart.

The laugh of a child joined in with the mix of sounds, and she knew she was closer to her location. She enjoyed the tune created by a child's laughter. It reminded her of her own inner child, and the fact that she hadn't really grown up in terms of a certain aspect. There was something that could never be removed from her; something she would forever hold dear. That's why she wished to work at her new job, since everyday she could now enjoy the charm of being a child encased in grand wonder.

Catching sight of the small girl, holding her mother's left hand, she recognized that familiar sparkle in the girl's hazel eyes. Wisps of curled brown hair cascaded down her shoulders, as a light pink jacket kept her warm. Pink boots with white laces accompanied the small girl's coat, while her mother directed her child to the building so close by. That particular gleam was the same that was held in (f/n)'s eyes. Never would she lose it.

As the mother and daughter entered the store, (f/n) stepped in front of the said building and placed the last of her breakfast in her mouth. Her (e/c) eyes directed themselves up to the painted sign on the two-story building. In gold lettering with a red background, the sign read: The Tinkerer's Treasure. After she glanced at the sign, her eyes fell on the store window. A paned glass window gave view to the wonders inside. Hand painted small metal airplanes hung from strings, as they pretended to soar high through the skies. Brown teddy bears, with ribbons of gold, red and blue, sat atop large wooden blocks, which were hand painted and carved as well. Wooden toy soldiers stood at the base and to the left side of the blocks. Their hand painted faces showed a proud countenance, as they held onto their wooden swords.

Grinning, she opened the painted red door, with the small window at the top. A brass bell rang upon her entrance, signaling all who were inside of her presence. Even with this announcement, the mother and daughter were caught up in looking at the magnificent toys throughout the shop. Still, all the toys made sure to give her a wondrous greeting, as they welcomed her to their home.

With her eyes delighting upon the sight of the work put into the toys, she took another step forward into the building. There was no toy store quite like this. One could easily tell that only the best craftsmanship went into the making of these toys. This quality was never diminished, as it's what kept the store's charm and attraction. Likewise, this particular shop was known throughout the world. People would come from all over the globe just to visit this toy store, since the owner refused to have any more than one shop. The owner had stated in an interview once that every toy needed to have its own unique quality and personality. Thus, they felt that having more than one shop would reduce that outcome. Granted, the man who ran the famous shop really didn't look like someone who would run a toy store. Regardless, she didn't know him personally, so who was she to judge.

Moving her way through the enchanting place, she stepped up to the wooden checkout counter. Behind it stood a woman, who was about the height of five feet and five inches. Auburn locks were fastened in a side-braid, which rested on her right shoulder. Brown eyes looked down at various papers, as she ran a pencil over the top piece of paper. Complimenting her hair and eyes was an outfit, which consisted of a chocolate brown sweater, black skinny jeans and black ankle boots. Likewise, the store's red apron went over this attire. Her nails were painted a midnight blue and had specks of gold glitter on them. Lastly, a gold hoop rested in each of her ears. Coughing lightly to get her attention, (f/n) waited patiently on the other side of the counter. The woman, who looked to be in her early twenties, glanced up at her. A look of realization crossed the woman's brown orbs before she set the papers and pencil down.

"Ah, you must be (f/n). Welcome, I'm sorry for not noticing you sooner. I was looking over the stock lists, making sure that everything was accounted for. Please follow me to the back, so I can get your apron and name tag. By the way, my name is Matilda," she replied before signaling for (f/n) to follow her.

(F/n) would've known her coworker's name beforehand, but the name tag was blocked from view due to the papers Matilda was previously holding. Thus, going to the back with her coworker, (f/n) cast another glance at the store's two current customers. They were both looking at a shelf of stuffed animals. She took notice of the small girl holding a beige rabbit with a pink bow. The (h/c)-haired girl promised herself that she wouldn't buy anything on her first day of work. Still, that rabbit looked incredibly cute. Sticking true to her word, however, she glanced away and told herself to not think of the rabbit any longer. Entering the backroom, Matilda pulled out a red apron for her coworker and handed it to (f/n).

"I'll have your name tag done in a moment. For now sign into the store worker sheet over there and take charge of the front desk for the time that I am back here," the auburn-haired woman stated, as she turned her back to (f/n).

Excited to start, (f/n) tied the apron around her form and went behind the counter.